PDA

View Full Version : It always something

Shawn Pixley
04-17-2014, 1:38 AM
We just had to replace our wall ovens and refrigerator. I was hoping for a bit of a respite. Today the clothes dryer stopped working. You could hear a loud hum but the drum wouldn't turn. Trouble shooting has the burner working, controls worked and motor ran with the belt disconnected. Took the oven apart. And found that the drum bearing and the rub ring had bitten the dust. Luckly there was a replacement kit available online. Forty dollars delivered. Dodged a bullet there. The dryer is 17 years old. Maybe I can get a few more years out of the set.

Robert McGowen
04-17-2014, 7:26 AM
....... with the belt disconnected. Took the oven apart. And found.......

I think I found out your problem with the dryer. :) I also noticed how late you posted this, so I guess it was a long day, but it sounds like tomorrow might be easier!

Lee Schierer
04-17-2014, 7:34 AM
Everyone thinks that when you plug in an electrical appliance that it is for the power to operate. What they don't know is that all electrical devices communicate via the wires and talk to each other. When an appliance is added or replaced, the older ones get jealous and take a vote on which one gets to quit. Sometimes there is a tie vote and two will quit at the same time.

Dick Latshaw
04-17-2014, 8:55 AM
Everyone thinks that when you plug in an electrical appliance that it is for the power to operate. What they don't know is that all electrical devices communicate via the wires and talk to each other. When an appliance is added or replaced, the older ones get jealous and take a vote on which one gets to quit. Sometimes there is a tie vote and two will quit at the same time.

I have found that you can sometimes scare these devices into working. I have a new cable modem/router that was randomly dropping off line. I tool my old router out of the closet and placed it where the new router could see it. I guess the new router took the hint because it has worked perfectly ever since.

Bill Orbine
04-17-2014, 10:12 AM
:DYou use your oven to dry clothes? And yeah, throw the turkey in the dryer to make it fresh! There's an idea. :D

Jim Matthews
04-17-2014, 10:35 AM
"What they don't know is that all electrical devices communicate via the wires and talk to each other."

- Lee Schierer

That's just a fable perpetrated by Penguins fans to hoodwink the gullible.

Any self-respecting fan of a real hockey team, like the Montreal Canadiens
knows that wiring is how the compressed smoke gets into household appliances.

It's when the smoke gets out that you've gotchyer prollum...

Shawn Pixley
04-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Yes I was clearly too tired when writing the post. It was the dryer. I was thoroughly tired of the oven / refrigerator project which was finally completed. I must have channeled that experience again...

dennis thompson
04-17-2014, 1:40 PM
Shawn
Keep fixing the old dryer. I recently had my 10 year old dryer fixed and asked the repairman ,who I trusted, whether I should just replace it. He said "keep fixing it until you can't fix it any more, the new dryers are junk" He could have sold me a new dryer (he sells washers & dryers too) but he didn't.