PDA

View Full Version : Blount lathe

matt cole
04-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Just got a blount manual school training lathe anybody have any info on this lathe? Not sure how to load pics or I would

Doug Ladendorf
04-16-2014, 11:24 PM
I believe I saw some info on either vintagemachinery.org or OWWM.org

Dennis Nagle
04-16-2014, 11:34 PM
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/109/5813.pdf

matt cole
04-17-2014, 8:41 PM
Thanks but could not find any info on my lathe. And without the motor tag I'm not sure what size of phase converter I need

Steve Harker
05-10-2014, 9:29 AM
Matt: I may have a similar lathe model. I have a 1926 Blount. Is the headstock a center drive really large, cast iron base? I tried to add a picture, but like you, don't think I figured it out.

Just got a blount manual school training lathe anybody have any info on this lathe? Not sure how to load pics or I would

matt cole
05-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Ya it's a direct drive all cast iron and at 500 lbs its a beast

Steve Harker
05-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Matt:

Mine too. Check the pic I managed to load in the last message and see if it is the same. If so, I did way more research than I cared to and learned that the taper on the head and tail stock is NOT a Jarno as some say, but what was known as a Morse Taper Long. Factories used to use a long Morse Taper #2, and I have one, but they are almost impossible to find. So one fix is to have a shop mill one for you (just continue the angle taper as a short on a longer piece of stock, or modify a sleeve adapter so you can use MT2 stuff.

Also, a really solid guy at WoodCraft in Jacksonville suggested I buy a chuck, which I did, and that way, you can do just about anything, and use just about any taper.

Are you using your lathe? I love mine, and in a couple years upon retirement, I will restore her totally. The motor, if we have the same one, is a 1/2 horse. Hope that helps. I also have some documentation, but not much.

Steve

Ya it's a direct drive all cast iron and at 500 lbs its a beast

matt cole
05-10-2014, 6:19 PM
I also got a chuck. That's good info on the taper. being a machinest it is a snap to make one! I have not had a chance to turn something yet I just got a rotary phase converter last night. I found out its a bad idea to run a static phase converter on motors built before 1965. Could not load pic but I'm on my phone