PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraving Copper

James Cogbill
04-16-2014, 6:22 PM
Looking to engrave / laser mark some Copper with my Trotec Speedy 300. Never tried it before. Can anybody recommend some tips, or Power and Speed settings for me? Thanks!
Best,
James

Tony saunders
04-16-2014, 6:37 PM
Not good I'm afraid... Even with a fibre laser , it's slow and not a good mark. Copper is a great heatsink and very resistive to CO2 lasers.

However, using Cermark you can get a result. You've not said what power your 300 is though?... On my 80W I still had to go quite slowly in order to really make the Cermark fuse properly but it did have nice contrast.

T

Dan Hintz
04-16-2014, 7:59 PM
Tony's right (and we're both assuming you have a fiber laser in that Speedy as a CO2 won't touch it)... you will have a heck of a time getting a mark with much less than a 50-70W fiber, and ideally it should be 100W+ to really get something useful. Copper is just too reflective to work with low powers, even at 1 micron wavelengths... a 532nm fiber is better.

Mike Null
04-17-2014, 10:52 AM
James

Don't know if this will work for you but JDS offers a copper finished aluminum which can be marked with sublimation or color laser transfer. It is suitable for plaques and decorative applications.

Cermark has a new item called LMM 6060 (Johnson Plastics) which you might possibly use on bare copper but I have my doubts.

Joe Hillmann
04-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Depending on the mark you want you could cover the copper with a mask, engrave through the mask then use a sandblaster to do the marking.

If the copper is at least somewhat polished sandblasting will leave and easy to see mark.

Hannu Rinne
04-17-2014, 6:59 PM
Here is my test on brass and copper:

Picture 1. test file
Picture 2. blank plates
Picture 3. Thermark LMM14
Picture 4. thick layer of Thermark added
Picture 5. washed plates
Picture 6. polished plates with Autosol Metal Polish
Marking on brass is permanent after polishing, but copper is not so good. I think lower speed and higher DPI settings will make more permanent marking.

Regards,
Hannu

Gary Hair
04-17-2014, 8:46 PM
Picture 4. thick layer of Thermark added

If you look at the lines in your coating you can see that they follow the lines that are missing on the copper piece. You really need to spray it on in a thin coat to get marks that are consistent. Since you have 60 watts you can get away with more than I can with my 30 watt machine, but I bet you'll get better results if you spray on a very thin coat. It may be different with Thermark vs Cermark, but I don't think so.

Hannu Rinne
04-17-2014, 9:24 PM
If you look at the lines in your coating you can see that they follow the lines that are missing on the copper piece. You really need to spray it on in a thin coat to get marks that are consistent. Since you have 60 watts you can get away with more than I can with my 30 watt machine, but I bet you'll get better results if you spray on a very thin coat. It may be different with Thermark vs Cermark, but I don't think so.

Gary, I only have a large paintbrush to do this...:D - ok, I will try a thinner layer!

Best Regards,
Hannu

Dan Hintz
04-17-2014, 9:47 PM
I bet you'll get better results if you spray on a very thin coat

Seconded... thick coats do nothing to enhance the mark, and generally prevent a good adhesion to the substrate.

Mike Null
04-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Hannu

While I prefer an airbrush I have a couple of regular jobs where I can't use it. There I use a small sponge brush and get excellent results.

I also prefer a thin solution.

Nick Mauer
04-18-2014, 1:59 AM
We engraved copper mugs recently. Kept our speed as usual but had to turn our power up quite a bit. When we use LMM14 on stainless, we use 20-30% laser power, on copper we needed to go to 40-50%, if I remember right. Ended up with a really dark mark that adhered just as well as stainless.

Gary Hair
04-18-2014, 2:51 AM
Gary, I only have a large paintbrush to do this...:D - ok, I will try a thinner layer!

Best Regards,
Hannu

Even with a paintbrush I would try thinning it down quite a bit - so thin that it's like milk. It will run all over the place, but you can put a good sized drop in the middle and tilt it around to spread it. You'll see how thin you can go and still get a good mark.

Dan Hintz
04-18-2014, 11:21 AM
When we use LMM14 on stainless, we use 20-30% laser power

Trotec SP1500 400-watt

I hate you, Nick ;)

400W must be all kinds of fun...

Hannu Rinne
04-18-2014, 2:57 PM
I made Thermark as thin as possible and I added also as thin layer as I could, as Gary and Mike suggested. Is there a rich, black mark after engraving ? No, it went inside to the material approx 0,14mm! Now the copper plate is like etched or engraved with blade… I don’t have a suitable gauge to measure it but the marking truly is deeper than 0,1mm.

Am I some kind Nobel candidate now ? :D:D

Regards,
Hannu

Nick Mauer
04-18-2014, 3:20 PM
I hate you, Nick ;)

400W must be all kinds of fun...

Sir, it is a blast! We're still trying to find that mythical glass ceiling. ;)

Gary Hair
04-18-2014, 3:39 PM
I made Thermark as thin as possible and I added also as thin layer as I could, as Gary and Mike suggested. Is there a rich, black mark after engraving ? No, it went inside to the material approx 0,14mm! Now the copper plate is like etched or engraved with blade… I don’t have a suitable gauge to measure it but the marking truly is deeper than 0,1mm.

Am I some kind Nobel candidate now ? :D:D

Regards,
Hannu

You probably obliterated the Thermark - I'd try running a power grid around 60 speed and see what happens. Oh, and I'm on my way to the patent office to file for the technique that I told you to use - please stop using it immediately or start paying me USD$100/minute...

Mike Null
04-18-2014, 4:00 PM
Gary

Forget about it, I filed a prior claim. I can sell tons of that stuff. It ain't like any copper I've ever seen.

Hannu

What is the metal? Are you sure you didn't use ferric chloride instead of cermark?:confused:

Hannu Rinne
04-18-2014, 7:15 PM
You probably obliterated the Thermark - I'd try running a power grid around 60 speed and see what happens. Oh, and I'm on my way to the patent office to file for the technique that I told you to use - please stop using it immediately or start paying me USD$100/minute...

Gary, don't bother, I'm already in my tent, waiting for local patent office open after Easter, to file your formula :D

Mike, the metal should be "half hard" copper, 1mm thick. Engraving made with Thermark LMM14 - or I hope it is - the price for 1 kg was extremely expensive :eek:

Regards,
Hannu

Chuck Stone
04-19-2014, 9:21 AM
[QUOTE=Mike Null;2256454
What is the metal? Are you sure you didn't use ferric chloride instead of cermark?:confused:[/QUOTE]

I wonder... if you mask and then etch with ferric chloride, is that enough
for paint to get a good grip?

Mary Lee
04-23-2014, 4:54 AM
Congratulations to you Hannu !
May I know what kind of laser you use ,C02 or fiber or other ?
I will try it next time before machine packing.
Thanks for your sharing ~
Regards,
Ms.Mary