PDA

View Full Version : I went bowling today...

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-24-2005, 1:35 AM
...for the first time since December, 2002. Bowling and woodworking are the only things I've really ever been good at, and I used to do a lot of both. But after years of 3-4 times a week, I was basically sick of it. Gonna start again this fall and I'd planned to just walk in there 'cold'...but I figured I owed it to the people on the team to try to get back 'in shape' first...and perhaps equally important, to make sure I didn't embarrass myself. :eek:

The getting back in shape thing was a good idea, because a whole lot of me hurts that's not supposed to. :( But I'm not worried about embarrassing myself anymore. It really is like riding a bike. :D

KC

Lee DeRaud
06-24-2005, 1:42 AM
...for the first time since December, 2002. Bowling and woodworking are the only things I've really ever been good at, and I used to do a lot of both. But after years of 3-4 times a week, I was basically sick of it. Gonna start again this fall and I'd planned to just walk in there 'cold'...but I figured I owed it to the people on the team to try to get back 'in shape' first...and perhaps equally important, to make sure I didn't embarrass myself. :eek:

The getting back in shape thing was a good idea, because a whole lot of me hurts that's not supposed to. :( But I'm not worried about embarrassing myself anymore. It really is like riding a bike. :D No kidding. I stopped about a year before you did, combination of shoulder problems and a league that was bleeding members. Might try it again after I retire, but no more 'scratch' leagues...takes all the fun out of it.:p

Karl Laustrup
06-24-2005, 5:05 AM
Wow! I haven't bowled in about.........well, I don't know how long. Going on 10 years I would guess. I was average, I guess, usually carried a mid 170's avg. Bowled in a lot of different leagues, but as Lee says:

but no more 'scratch' leagues...takes all the fun out of it.:p

Only bowled in scratch league and mens league for a couple of years. Took all the fun out of it.:( Really enjoyed the mixed leagues. :) Had fun, had a few beers and enjoyed the friendly competition for a couple of hours. :D Like it should be.:D

Karl

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-24-2005, 5:55 AM
Hmmm. One of the things that got me turned off was that it was hard to find a serious, competetive league. Handicap leagues are fine, as long as they come with some kind of entering average requirement.

What I saw when they opened up the ABC membership to women was a whole lot of 125 average wives wanting to bowl in the 'money' leagues with their husbands...and no league leadership with the cajones to say NO. :(

Nuthin' against women...I'm married to one who could beat most men when she was on her game...but when she fell off and couldn't maintain, I didn't want her out there either. Maybe I take it too seriously. :eek:

Lee DeRaud
06-24-2005, 2:28 PM
Only bowled in scratch league and mens league for a couple of years. Took all the fun out of it.:( Really enjoyed the mixed leagues. :) Had fun, had a few beers and enjoyed the friendly competition for a couple of hours. :D Like it should be.:D Bowling in a scratch league made me bowl better, to the tune of about 6-8 pins average. But the atmosphere was making it difficult for them to maintain enough bowlers on the roster: pretty much everybody below about 195 (and several above 200) decided it wasn't worth the hassle.