PDA

View Full Version : Many Uses For Shavings

Jim Koepke
04-16-2014, 1:54 AM
Among the many uses for shavings is to pad one end of a piece while working on the other.

This is a kind of fun project as in the imagination it could be many things.

It is planned to be a 16" pizza peel.

Parts of the handle have been shaped with spoke shaves after this picture was taken.

Some of the rough spots at grain changes have been effectively polished with shavings. That's an old turner's trick.

jtk

bridger berdel
04-16-2014, 2:01 AM
I have a friend with a composting toilet. unfortunately they don't poop as fast as I woodwork, so I still throw a lot away.

Jim Koepke
04-16-2014, 2:06 AM
I have a friend with a composting toilet. unfortunately they don't poop as fast as I woodwork, so I still throw a lot away.

Do people have horses in your area? Anyone with a hamster or rabbit?

We sometimes use them for our chickens nests then compost them.

This is getting to the wrong time of year for burning them.

I have thought of bagging them up and trying to give them away at the farmers market.

jtk

Ryan Mooney
04-16-2014, 2:22 AM
I put around 200 gallons of green wood elm shavings (from the lathe) on the flower beds last summer. This spring the beds where the shavings went down are fantastic; black and moist.

Stanley Covington
04-16-2014, 6:11 AM
I have read that one must be careful with shavings. Some will harm harm the soil. Others, including walnut wood shavings, are supposed to be poisonous to horses and should not be used around them.

Stan

Bradley Gray
04-16-2014, 7:38 AM
My planer shavings are kept separate from saw and sanding dust. (the planer has its own blower) A couple times a year I use my old ford tractor to scoop them up and put them on my vegetable garden. I add 10-10-10 fertilizer and they turn to dirt quickly.

Pat Barry
04-16-2014, 7:45 AM
Among the many uses for shavings is to pad one end of a piece while working on the other.

This is a kind of fun project as in the imagination it could be many things.

It is planned to be a 16" pizza peel.

Parts of the handle have been shaped with spoke shaves after this picture was taken.

Some of the rough spots at grain changes have been effectively polished with shavings. That's an old turner's trick.

jtk

Holy smokes Jim, what do you have for a pizza oven?

Mark Engel
04-16-2014, 8:43 AM
I placed an ad on Craigslist offering the bagged chips for free. Had a couple of families in the area that raise chickens come by and pick them up. Now I just send them an email when I get a couple of bags full.

David Weaver
04-16-2014, 9:11 AM
I have read that one must be careful with shavings. Some will harm harm the soil. Others, including walnut wood shavings, are supposed to be poisonous to horses and should not be used around them.

Stan

My grandfather cut and split wood for sport in his retirement (or for something to do more accurately). They always put plain wood chips on their flower beds, mostly red oak and ash, and I'd imagine the end result wasn't something good for the soil. My mother used to claim that it made the soil too acidic for anything other than acid loving plants, but it's not like we ever put a test strip in it to check. I'd sooner keep them out of my garden for the same reason. I don't know what effect they'd have, but I don't need the organic material.

Shannon Brantley
04-16-2014, 9:12 AM
I'm also a potter and use saw dust from reduction material in raku firings.

Dave Anderson NH
04-16-2014, 11:11 AM
When using shaving in the garden, almost all wood will leach out some tannic acid. If you are going to use the chips in the garden you need to compensate by adding lime. When used as bedding for animals, avoid walnut as it is toxic to many animals.

Christopher Charles
04-16-2014, 1:14 PM
Have two wood stoves, plane shavings are my favorite way to start a fire.

Jim, I like the padding idea.

Jim Koepke
04-16-2014, 1:25 PM
Holy smokes Jim, what do you have for a pizza oven?

This one if being made to sell at the Farmers Market.

But it also makes a cool "air" guitar.

jtk

Shawn Pixley
04-16-2014, 3:06 PM
No wood stove here. I keep one bucket of shavings for the chacoal briquet chiminey. The rest is added to green waste.

Patrick Bernardo
04-16-2014, 6:42 PM
Shavings here go in the bougie composter.

Sometimes I wish I had a wood stove. With the stuff I 'make,' I'd probably be better off...

Roger Newby
04-16-2014, 7:44 PM
If I do any varnish removal, planer chips are used to remove the stripper. Much less mess.

Tom Vanzant
04-16-2014, 9:39 PM
Ipe shavings and sawdust are also toxic to horses...in any quantity.

Roger: hello 79th!

Charlie MacGregor
04-17-2014, 12:22 AM
Raw wood products, during the process of decomposing will tie up the nitrogen making it unavailable to plants. Once it's decomposed it's fine and beneficial. (Disclaimer: I'm not sure about exotics.)

Jim Koepke
04-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Someone on another forum sent me these links:

A recipe for making pizza dough:

http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1016230/robertas-pizza-dough.html

A video of the dough being made, baked and eaten:

http://www.nytimes.com/video/dining/100000002808291/jeepneys-chori-burger.html?playlistId=1194820411913&ie=1

Hmmm, we have some ham and pastrami in the fridge... That doesn't sound like a good pizza.

jtk

Steve Beadle
04-17-2014, 2:38 PM
Hey Jim! Maybe you could sell those bags of wood shavings if you put their more exotic name on them: "EXCELSIOR, only $5".

bridger berdel
04-17-2014, 9:16 PM
yes to this. a handfull of shavings from under the jointer or from hand planing is my go to for a lot of cleanup jobs. better than rags or psper towells for many things.

If I do any varnish removal, planer chips are used to remove the stripper. Much less mess.

Max Withers
04-17-2014, 10:53 PM
This is true. Add blood meal (or other nitrogen source) if you're worried about it.

I have managed to keep up with mine starting the BBQ so far, either because of my laziness or how much I barbecue.

Alfred Kraemer
04-19-2014, 8:32 PM
From the land of alkaline clay soils -SE Wisconsin: wood shavings/chips/sawdust compost works well and quite fast when mixed with grass clippings. Wish I would produce more shavings to keep a good balance with the grass clippings.
I keep walnut out because the juglone in walnut can stunt a number of plants, and I don t know if composting destroys juglone.
The compost with the clippings works great here - no need to use peatmoss.

Alfred