PDA

View Full Version : 1946 Delta Milwaukee Lathe Tailstock Disassembly?

Mark R Webster
04-15-2014, 11:14 PM
I am currently restoring a 1946 Delta Milwaukee 12 Woodworking Lathe. I have posted a couple of other questions regarding other aspects of my restoration, but now I am stuck on the tailstock. I want to completely disassemble it. I am just not seeing how it comes apart. I want to remove the Cup center, the Tail Stock Quill and the Quill Adjustment Screw. I see a part listed as CBL-421 that looks like it is inserted into the end of the tailstock to hold the Quill Adjustment Screw Nut in place. Does one have to tap it off and then things come apart, I don’t want to start banging on it if it is not supposed to be removed. The CBL-421 is on the schematic but not listed in the parts list so I don’t know what it is called. Any suggestion on how to take this thing apart.
Thanks
Mark

Thomas Hotchkin
04-16-2014, 1:02 AM
Mark
If you post this question over at OWWM.com you might get a faster answer. Sorry with out schematic I can't help you out. Tom

Mark R Webster
04-16-2014, 4:23 AM
Thanks Tom, I will ask the question on OWWM.com thanks, just a comment though. It has been nearly 30 years since I used a lathe, and after I posted the question it occurred to me (if my memory serves me right ;) that the Cup center should pop out when you crank the Quill Adjustment Screw all the way out. This is not happening so I assume it is frozen. So before any further dis assembly I need to get the Cup Center out somehow.

Mark Wooden
04-16-2014, 7:51 AM
Center ejects when the quill is wound all the way in to the tailstock. If it doesn't come out at first, don't force the screw; instead, wind the quill out and heat it with a heat gun or propane torch on low flame- the idea is to heat it slowly. Get it hot-way too hot to touch but not so hot the metal's turning colors- and then try to eject it. If it doesn't pop, squirt penetrating oil in around the center,let it soak, try again later. Wear glasses, no open flames or heat gun, be careful, the stuff spatters and burns-DAMHIKT.
check your PM's

Mark R Webster
04-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks Mark I will give it a try later today. Appreciate the help.
Mark

Richard Coers
04-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Not all lathes are self ejecting. Unless Wooden has specific knowledge that this lathe does, I wouldn't assume anything! Is there a through hole in the tailstock? A knockout bar will be a safer approach until you can verify it self ejects.

Mark R Webster
04-16-2014, 12:19 PM
Hi Richard, I was able to remove the Quill and tapped the offending tapered item out from the back. This particulare tailstock doesn't have a hole. Thanks
Mark

Mark Wooden
04-16-2014, 1:54 PM
I have a 1460, that is how the tailstock ejects the centers according to the manual and experience. The tailstock on that lathe uses a #2 Morse taper.

Mark Andrew
04-16-2014, 2:02 PM
Agree with Mark Wooden. I thought I'd broken my 1460 when the tailstock went all the way retracted. I've never needed to disassemble the tailstock, it's in good condition, but I would be interested to see the screw setup on the shaft.

Mark R Webster
04-16-2014, 3:01 PM
The best resource I have found so far is on OWWM which seems to be down at the moment. The document is under Delta machines, lathes, the document is the Tailstock Modification 12" Lathe #1460.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-16-2014, 4:23 PM
This site has a VERY active woodturners group. Post your questions over there.