PDA

View Full Version : Hot off the lathe

joe marra
04-15-2014, 4:57 PM
Just finished a Maple Ambrosia, C&C welcome

Roger Chandler
04-15-2014, 5:22 PM
That is a beautiful bowl, Joe! Well done! What kind of finish will you put on it?

joe marra
04-15-2014, 5:24 PM
Thank you. Not sure, any suggestions?

Roger Chandler
04-15-2014, 5:31 PM
Thank you. Not sure, any suggestions?

I like to pop the grain with shellac........then wipe on poly.............some people prefer a penetrating oil finish like danish oil. I think the WOP looks good and is food safe when fully cured. Satin finish for most bowls, not gloss.

Allan Ferguson
04-15-2014, 6:36 PM
That is looking great.

Dennis Ford
04-15-2014, 9:00 PM
That is a great bowl!

Scott Hackler
04-15-2014, 9:11 PM
Very nice. Tung Oil is one of my favorites.

Duane Meadows
04-15-2014, 9:12 PM
Very nice bowl, Joe. I like a sanding sealer and wipe on poly for a finish.

Michelle Rich
04-16-2014, 7:51 AM
can't beat the ambrosia..I like how you balanced the dark on each rim/side. Very graceful & pleasing.

joe marra
04-16-2014, 2:43 PM
Rodger, what did I do wrong. The shellac turned the bowl yellow.

I like to pop the grain with shellac........then wipe on poly.............some people prefer a penetrating oil finish like danish oil. I think the WOP looks good and is food safe when fully cured. Satin finish for most bowls, not gloss.

Roger Chandler
04-16-2014, 3:36 PM
Rodger, what did I do wrong. The shellac turned the bowl yellow.

You need to use 100% dewaxed shellac...........also known as Zinzer [Bullseye] SealCoat. Comes in a can and is clear.......although it will make the grain pop and give a great base for the Wipe on poly or other finishes...........it is a sanding sealer. You can get it at most paint stores, Home depot, Lowes and hardware stores.

Some regular shellac has wax in it......that will not allow proper adhesion of the final finish..............if you made a mistake, then just sand the shellac off and start again.........this bowl is too nice to not do it. Allow the SealCoat to dry......15 minutes at room temp, and then you could even knock it back a little with some steel wool or lightly with 600 grit paper, then apply your wipe on poly.........makes a fine finish! Good luck!