PDA

View Full Version : We Owe, We Owe, so Off to Work We Go...Tax Day Arrives

Rich Riddle
04-15-2014, 6:36 AM
Toady is tax day? Who already did it and who procrastinated? Everything except our K1 has been done for a while. Those usually don't get here until May. The IRS says that is fine and legal.

George Bokros
04-15-2014, 7:27 AM
Taxes done and paid.

Rich Engelhardt
04-15-2014, 8:00 AM
Ours have been done for a few weeks now.
The state has been paid and the federal refund has already been deposited.

Good thing too since the VSC and TRAC OFF lights came on in my van and the check engine light is blinking.
Grr.....

Toyota says have it towed since the CEL is blinking.

George Bokros
04-15-2014, 8:10 AM
Rich...

Hmmm.......Sounds like the PCM has gone flakey. Maybe it is because Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows XP.

Good luck.

George

Brad Adams
04-15-2014, 8:47 AM
I always wait until the last day. Why give the government an interest free loan with my money.

Jim Creech
04-15-2014, 9:03 AM
In 2012 and 2013 I had to requisition a total of 18K to pay the IRS. I have not yet heard from my tax preparer about this year. At the point now that I really don't much care. I am almost 64 and have been paying taxes since 16. They have more than gotten their pound of flesh out of me. I got a notice a couple of weeks ago from Isle of Wight co. that beginning in June county residents will have to pay $72.00 per year fee for rainwater to run off of the roof. Something about storm water. What else are these people going to tax? There is a lot I would like to say about Federal, State and local tax agencies however SMC TOS prohibit this sort of thing. Wouldn't do any good anyway but I would feel a little better.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-15-2014, 10:25 AM
I always wait until the last day. Why give the government an interest free loan with my money.

I always do mine ASAP for exactly the same reason! My employer with-holds too much, so I always get money back at the end of the year.

I looked into it, and it turns out that any "extra" pay I get, this includes the shift differential I get when I work odd hours, profit-sharing if ever happens, and any overtime (and there's 8 hours of OT built into my schedule every other week - 36 hrs. one week, 48 the next) gets withheld at the *maximum* rate, so something like 25 percent. I will never hit that tax bracket, so I end up paying too much every year. I can change my with-holding for my regular pay, but not for this. The year I worked a whole lot of overtime, I got a huge tax refund. It's a little less annoying now, since most of my wife's working is consulting or self-employed stuff. Ideally we could balance the two exactly and have neither a large refund nor a large amount to pay.

Jim - can you just put a bucket at the end of your gutters, or do some sort of other gray-water system?

Rich Riddle
04-15-2014, 10:30 AM
I remember one year in the 1980's while living in Whidbey Island that Island County decided to charge a "view tax" to everyone who had a view of he ocean or inland waters. Needless to say that the county "commissioners" (or whatever they were called) lost the election later that year and the tax disappeared as mysteriously as it had appeared. There was also a group of residents who formed a committee named "Whidbey Islanders for a Sound Environment" (WISE) with the goal of getting rid of the noisy Navy jets. One method they wanted to alleviate the problem was to tax the noise the jets made. After finding out you cannot tax the military, the came up with other plans. When the BRAC commission looked at closing the base and the economic impact studies showed what would happen to the local area and the tax increases that would result to keep services at the current levels, they dwindled.

Brian Elfert
04-15-2014, 11:07 AM
The county is still going to tax someone for storm water runoff even if you collect all the runoff from your roof in a rain barrel and water your garden with it. The tax is usually to help pay for the storm sewers. The thing is, your regular property taxes used to pay for the storm sewers and I bet the regular property taxes don't go down by the amount of the new tax.

My city charges me a stormwater fee on my water bill.

Jim Creech
04-15-2014, 11:08 AM
I did pot a rain barrel out to catch rain water for the garden. They will probably fine me for failing to buy a permit.

George Bokros
04-15-2014, 11:54 AM
I did pot a rain barrel out to catch rain water for the garden. They will probably fine me for failing to buy a permit.

Yup, diverting rain water is probably not legal. All rainwater must go in retention ponds, EPA requirement.

Rich Engelhardt
04-15-2014, 2:13 PM
Rain water collection protest!
Count me in!

Maybe they'll send the BLM out like they did in Nevada and we can hold them off :D..

Anyhow - back to reality..

Sounds like the PCM has gone flakey
Good call.
Something chewed the wires to the computer and shorted it out.
$900 for a new computer, $300 for labor and $90 for the tow.....
There goes my first SS check... :(

Tom Stenzel
04-15-2014, 2:30 PM
Why is it that computers get more powerful and get cheaper and easier to program- unless it's for a car. Then they're hard to get, expensive to install, and programming them involves unicorn mane hair and throwing chicken bones in the air.

I remember seeing a very expensive 4 year old diesel pickup laid up for over a month waiting for a computer.

Somehow gapping points every couple of months doesn't seem like such a burden anymore.

-Tom Stenzel

Shawn Pixley
04-15-2014, 3:22 PM
Toady is tax day? Who already did it and who procrastinated? Everything except our K1 has been done for a while. Those usually don't get here until May. The IRS says that is fine and legal.

Done for over a month and a half. Owed the feds 300$ got a refund from the state. I like to get it done early and out of the way.

Rod Sheridan
04-15-2014, 3:49 PM

Not due yet in Canada, and with the Heartbleed issue we'll probably have a few days reprieve on top of that......Rod.

Rich Riddle
04-15-2014, 4:16 PM
Rod,

Don't you at times have to work in the mountains of Virginia and such places? You don't have to pay taxes on your income when you are working here?

Rod Sheridan
04-16-2014, 9:21 AM
Rod,

Don't you at times have to work in the mountains of Virginia and such places? You don't have to pay taxes on your income when you are working here?

Hi Rich, no I pay the taxes in Canada because I'm working for a Canadian company when I'm in Virginia.........Regards, Rod.

Brian Elfert
04-16-2014, 10:15 AM
I don't quite understand how state income taxes work when one is constantly working in different states. Professional sports players pay taxes in each different state they play in. How come others who travel from state to state for their work don't have to file income taxes for each state they work in?

glenn bradley
04-16-2014, 10:20 AM

I do it as soon as possible. Why should I let the government have an interest free loan of my money one day longer than they already do :). Ideally I would owe them a few bucks at tax time. With all the (read sarcasm here) super-beneficial-adjustments to the tax laws . . . I always seem to get more back than I would have liked to loan them but, I'm getting closer.

Rod Sheridan
04-16-2014, 10:22 AM
I don't quite understand how state income taxes work when one is constantly working in different states. Professional sports players pay taxes in each different state they play in. How come others who travel from state to state for their work don't have to file income taxes for each state they work in?

Hi Brian, I believe it requires that you pay income tax where the income source is.

In my case, the income source is Canada, not a company in Virginia............Regards, Rod.

Rich Riddle
04-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Technically they should have to do it; however, most employers don't track how much money one "earns" in each state. There are differences though. My wife works in Ohio but lives in Kentucky. An agreement exists between Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. One only pays the state taxes to the state where one lives, not where one earns the money. In the case of my wife even though she's a partner in Ohio and works there, the partnership pays her taxes to Kentucky where she lives.

Brian Elfert
04-16-2014, 1:50 PM
Hi Brian, I believe it requires that you pay income tax where the income source is.

In my case, the income source is Canada, not a company in Virginia............Regards, Rod.

Sure, but professional athletes get paid in the team's home state and country, yet they have to pay income taxes to other states when they play out of state. I don't know if they pay income tax to Canada when they play there. It may be that professional athletes are high enough profile and make enough money that it is worth it for states to go after them.

It would be an accounting nightmare for someone making a middle class income and working all over to have to pay tax to each states. Truckers have to pay fuel tax to each state based on how many miles they drove in that state.