PDA

View Full Version : Ash Burl Bowl

Rich Aldrich
04-14-2014, 11:54 PM
This is a natural edge ash burl bowl about 5" diameter x 3" high. Finish is WOP, buffed and waxed.

Col Smith
04-15-2014, 12:37 AM
What a beautiful piece of timber & amazing grain. Your turning & finish has worked well.
What with this Ash bowl & the last Maple bowl I will have to make a detour to your place when we visit your lovely country in 2015.

Col

David Coburn
04-15-2014, 7:04 AM
Hi Rich,

I really like this one, especially the first picture. It looks like you turned straight into the pith of the end grain. Is that correct? I really like the rings pattern on the inside of the bowl.

david

jwjerry w kowalski
04-15-2014, 6:59 PM
Rich, that's some of the best looking ash I've ever seen, the bowl looks fantastic, something I would be proud to have.

Rich Aldrich
04-15-2014, 7:13 PM
Thank you for the compliments. I was quite pleased that this piece was reasonably solid - you never know with burls. One change I would make is to taper the bottom of the bowl or even taper the whole side more.

Jason Ritchie
04-15-2014, 8:18 PM
Wow! That's a stunning piece! The photos are really well done too.

Thomas Canfield
04-15-2014, 8:36 PM
Who would have thought that piece of wood had that much character hid inside it? You just have to open it up and you did an excellent job. Well done. I like the natural edge, inclusions, and general character, but the wood grain really makes it special.

Gus Dundon
04-17-2014, 2:30 PM
That is some beautiful ash burl! The pattern is awesome. Awesome with surface and shape of the bowl!

Rich Aldrich
04-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Hi Rich,

I really like this one, especially the first picture. It looks like you turned straight into the pith of the end grain. Is that correct? I really like the rings pattern on the inside of the bowl.

david

Actually, this was a burl that grew like a knob out the side of the tree, so there was not pith. I was surprised that there weren't more inclusions in the burl.

I tried to save the bark, but the cambrium layer was so wet, that it wouldn't stay on the wood. It actually looks better without the bark any way.