PDA

View Full Version : My first sale

Carole Valentine
06-23-2005, 11:01 PM
<!--StartFragment --> It was accidental. I did not feel ready to sell any of my stuff yet, but a client saw this on my porch this morning and wanted to buy it. I agonized over whether or not to sell it all afternoon. She called back twice and the second time I said OK. I was not real happy with the shape of the piece, in fact I had used it as a test piece to try laquer for the first time so I had no idea of selling it or even giving it away.

Cecil Arnold
06-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Way to go Carole! Hope you got a good price.

Dennis Peacock
06-23-2005, 11:17 PM
You go girl..!!!!!!!!!! Looks great and why NOT sell it to a prospective buyer!! In my book, if they want to buy it....sell it if you care to part with it.

Congrats to you on your first sale!!! :D

John Miliunas
06-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Congrats, Carole! Guess we have to start calling it a "Studio" and not a "shop" anymore, heh?:) Way to go! AND, beautiful piece. I can see why she wanted it!:) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
06-24-2005, 5:21 AM
WOW! Carole, that is really beautiful. I can see why someone would want to have it. Don't sell yourself short. BTW, is that wood box elder?

Karl

Michael Stafford
06-24-2005, 5:37 AM
I think it is a very pretty piece. I do not have attachments to many pieces that I make. If the LOML does not want them they are for sale. Congratulations on selling your first piece. :D I hope you have many many more. ;) I also hope you never have seller's regret....

Alan Turner
06-24-2005, 6:04 AM
Congrats. It is a nice form of validation, isn't it?

John Hart
06-24-2005, 7:08 AM
I think it's great Carole!! The piece is beautiful, you got vindication that you are an accomplished turner, you made someone happy, and you get to keep the picture forever. I call it a win-win.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-24-2005, 8:51 AM
Carole.....that's a beautiful piece! Now that you're a professional I hope you'll keep coming back to the Creek! :eek: ;) :D

Carole Valentine
06-24-2005, 9:35 AM
I'm a what??????:eek: No, I don't think so, LOL. I'm a novice that just got lucky! You know the old saying about the blind hog... We'll see how many years go by before I manage to sell another piece!:D One thing I am sure about...any pennies I get from my efforts are going into the Powermatic fund! I am getting frustrated with the limitations on my little Jet Mini.:(

Carole Valentine
06-24-2005, 9:37 AM
Thanks, Carl. Yes it is Box Elder.

Fred Ray
06-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Congratulations, Carole. I don't see a thing wrong with the form of that piece. I can certainly see why someone would want it! Keep up the good work!

Michael Gibbons
06-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Carol, when people think your projects are good enough to buy, you made the big time!:)

Mike

Bill Stevener
06-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Good Morning Carole,

I have been sitting in front of my magic window admiring your creative talent. A very pleasing piece indeed. What is this accident stuff?? The piece truly reflects that it came from deep within the heart, and brings forth your professional talents.

If you wish to build up your Powermatic fund, you must first generate a positive attitude, and always work fron the heart. Keep your tools sharp -- dull tools makes for dull looking work, and when the opportunity for a sale presents its self, sell it! and before long, you will find yourself turning on the lathe of your dreams. One should never maintain the attitude of, "I am not ready or good enough yet, this outlook will only place you high on the starving artists list.

Looking forward to seeing more of your very promising work.

Bill.>>>>>>>>:)

Dawn Sunkle
06-24-2005, 1:11 PM
Carole, that is beautiful!
Congratulations on selling your first of many pieces :)
Dawn

Dick Parr
06-24-2005, 3:05 PM
Congratulations Carole! That is great news ;)

That is a very nice looking piece of box elder with very nice form.

Great job Carole :)

Carole Valentine
06-24-2005, 3:13 PM
LOL It was accidental in that I was using it as a test for laquer, which I had never used before, and it was just sitting on my porch on a bunch of newspapers when the lady saw it. What I meant is that I wasn't actively trying to sell it. I suppose I will be a little more proactive from now on...I want that new lathe!

Harry Pye
06-24-2005, 9:20 PM
Carol,

Nothing to be ashamed about in that piece. Nice piece of wood, great job of turning it, what more could you want.

mike malone
06-26-2005, 7:22 AM
Beautiful work Carole!!...what is the diameter of the piece?
regards
mike

Ernie Nyvall
06-26-2005, 7:30 AM
Congratulations Carole! I can certainly see why she wants to buy it. Nice piece.

Ernie

Carole Valentine
06-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks, Mike. I think it was about 5 1/2". Don't have it anymore so I can measure it. I forgot to write it down before I delivered it yesterday.