PDA

View Full Version : CMT Router Bits

Mark W Pugh
04-14-2014, 9:32 PM
OK, I did a search, but it said there we're too many entries.

So, any comments, positive, or negative on CMT router bits?

Thanks

Justin Ludwig
04-14-2014, 9:43 PM
I have a dedicated CMT bit for doing rabbets in plywood for 1/4 backs. It has a small chip in it, but that's from 2 years of rabbeting plywood. It's still sharp. I use some of their flush trim bits too, no complaints. I'm no connoisseur of bits, but I'm happy with the ones I own.

Dick Mahany
04-14-2014, 9:44 PM
I used to use CMT router bits when Sommerfield used to rep/sell them. Had excellent results particularly with raised panel cabinet door sets. Over time have switched to Whiteside and a few Amana just due to local availability. Whiteside are my favorite, but I'm a low volume hobbiest user.

glenn bradley
04-14-2014, 10:11 PM
I too have migrated to where I buy Whiteside anytime I buy . . . with exceptions. When someone has decent bits on sale at blowout prices I will buy the profiles I use hard or in unkind material. If I can get a general use rabbet bit or a 2 flute straight bit for dados in ply for $5 - $10 I will pick up a few. Whiteside sharpens their own bits for about that price depending on profile so, when I buy a $35 Whiteside bit, not only do they outlast others but, I can sharpen them several times bringing the actual cost way down. I have no affiliation. They have just proven themselves so that's what I use.

Since I posted the image I guess I should mention that the Eagle bits that tied with Whiteside are made for Eagle by Whiteside so, no surprise there.

Loren Woirhaye
04-14-2014, 10:55 PM
I have some. They are good and on the spendy side as I recall. They were what I could get in 1/2" shanks when I was getting started. Jesada were similar. More costly bits tend to have more metal in the profiles, cheaper ones are machined with flats. You might notice differences between brands if you're doing a time study of your sanding but other than that I've found modest priced unpainted bits from sellers like MCLS perform pretty well. CMT bits come in snazzy plastic boxes and have nice paint jobs. For panel raising you might consider something spendier like CMT or Freud because the higher end bits are sometimes designed to reduce scorching and sanding time. Freud bits are anyway.

Keith Hankins
04-14-2014, 11:11 PM
I've got some and they are a good bit. I'd place Whiteside at the top of the heap and the first on the go to list.

Michael Mahan
04-14-2014, 11:26 PM
So how do I contact Whiteside to have a bit sharpened ?
didn't know Whiteside did resharpening :o learn something new here everyday :D
I need to contribute more $$$ to SMC :rolleyes:
Love my Whiteside bits :p

Thou I do know that the CMT bits for a Festool Domino are way superior to the Festool bits as reported at over @ FOG
I have all the CMT Festool Domino bits :)

Rich Enders
04-15-2014, 12:42 AM
Very many years ago I bought a CMT flush trimming bit. I still use it. I have since purchased a few dozen CMT bits. Possibly in a head to head another brand may perform equal or better, but I have not had a single issue with the CMT's.

scott spencer
04-15-2014, 5:09 AM
My limited use with CMT bits has been mostly positive, but I didn't find them to be quite on par with Whiteside or Infinity, and some have much thinner carbide....since they cost about the same, I buy WS or Infinity unless the CMT are on sale. I'm unsure if the CMT bits that are sold at homecenters are the same as those sold by specialty dealers....food for thought.

Paul McGaha
04-15-2014, 6:20 AM
I have a few router bits from CMT and have found them to be ok.

Personally I prefer Freud router bits. Good quality and sold at many vendors. I use Freud for table saw and miter saw blades too.

PHM

Brian Gumpper
04-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Scott made a good point. There are the traditional orange colored bits but CMT also has a black colored contractor series that you may be more likely to find and places like Menards.

Peter Quinn
04-18-2014, 12:36 PM
The orange ones are good, I've used the rabbit sets and some large flush trimmers, not much else. Amana and white side are my go to's, available locally for me and I've never been disappointed. They seem to last longer than others I've tried.

steve swartz
04-18-2014, 11:49 PM
I have a few CMT bits that I bought from Marc Sommerfield at the old woodworking shows and they seem to be okay. I also have bought bits from MCLS, Freud and Amana, but I really like the bits I buy from Whiteside. They are good quality, they hold their edge and I also like the fact that they are "Made in the USA". In fact, I only buy Whiteside these days. I like to think I am helping an American company that employs American citizens stay in business.