PDA

View Full Version : Metal absorb CO2 laser

Alan Moberly
04-14-2014, 8:59 PM
Which metal or metals are more likely to absorb rather than reflect a CO2 laser beam.

Dan Hintz
04-15-2014, 9:39 AM
Which metal or metals are more likely to absorb rather than reflect a CO2 laser beam.

They all absorb to some degree... the problem is none of them absorb enough to be useful with our typical power levels.

Alan Moberly
04-15-2014, 9:48 AM
Dan I was thinking of using aluminum diamond plate as a bed material as it has the raised diamonds. The other thought was brass or something in that range. I get to much flash from the steel bed that came with the laser.

Gary Hair
04-15-2014, 9:53 AM
Black anodized aluminum would be perfect.

Dan Hintz
04-15-2014, 10:12 AM
Black anodized aluminum would be perfect.

This is the best (cheapest?) option. Diamond plate would be a really bad choice. If you are having issues with flashback, maybe a pin table is a better option for you.

Bill Cunningham
04-15-2014, 7:22 PM
I just stick a sheet of brass coated steel on the table using two sided tape. A bunch of rare earth magnets will hold stuff off the table, while others mating up on top with the ones below will keep most flat stuff from moving around.. Just place the magnets where they won't interfere with cut areas.

Richard Rumancik
04-16-2014, 9:56 AM
Bill, that sounds like a good idea. The bottom magnets can then be placed as required for the different jobs. I know the laser manufacturers often use aluminum for the table surface to keep the weight down, but there would be a lot of merit to having tables manufactured with a layer of steel sheet bonded on the top face so one could use magnets as you suggest (without having to add anything to the table). I assume you keep the sheet steel permanently on the table?