PDA

View Full Version : How to solicit business from high schools, sports teams ... ?

Bill Stearns
04-14-2014, 8:50 PM
Hi All -
One place I am missing out on business is our local 'n regional schools' sports teams. (i.e. awards 'n plaques) I've been told 'least 'couple of our schools now have laser engraving equipment of their own. No easy way for me to find out if their "educational only?/training work shops" are creating their own plaques, or not. I do wonder? I drove over to one high school recently; kind' a got the runaround, or so it seemed. Instead of talking with individual coaches as I had planned, I was told to see the "athletic director" - whose office suggested that I contact the various "booster clubs": that these organizations handle awards 'n such. Haven't had success tracking down the people who head these clubs - 'cause think they are run out' a homes, not offices anywhere. My question: What is the most successful 'n practical way you've found to solicit/acquire sales from area schools 'n teams?
What little plaque business I do get from 'few sports organizations - these groups change "head people" each year - so, my getting year-to-year business is always a crap-shoot! Any ideas for me there? If you do good business with local school teams, etc. - sure could use your advice

Thanks 'n advance,
Bill :confused:

Joe Pelonio
04-14-2014, 9:50 PM
I guess you would have to ask. I have donated some time to help out both a local high school and college with their laser, which were used in the art or the technology departments, and yes, they were using them for school related items as well as for teaching. The jobs I have done for schools were mostly ADA signs, and cut dimensional letters through the contractors doing building or renovation.

Kev Williams
04-14-2014, 9:52 PM
just my experience, but around here all the schools are poverty-stricken. I have one "public education" customer, and the precious few awards they pay for are for the achievements of the teachers and administrators, not the students.

David Somers
04-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Bill,

Keep in mind I am not speaking from an abundance of sales experience? Just talking about what I see around me. Like Kev said, most of the schools seem pretty tight. There are wealthy districts, but most of them are aren't. Unless Grand Rapids and surrounds are simply football fanatics and willing to pour money into that sport it is hard to see many athletic programs, high school and below doing much.

You might branch out and focus on the various summer leagues that form. Kids and adults both. They may not do a lot individually, but in aggregate you might do OK. They may also have lines on who is doing this stuff for the district schools.

I would also suggest looking at the service organizations in your area. Kiwanis, Lions, etc. They tend to do quite well on their fund raising and also tend to be formed of businessmen who have some resources. The groups I been on the fringes of have enjoyed recognizing each years achievements for fundraising, and recognizing outstanding efforts of people they have given money to as well; scholarship students who really pulled good grades, a charity that did some outstanding work with the money the service club donated to them, etc. They could be a good source for you. Look at all of them too. Sometimes even the less likely ones can be good at times. Soroptomists, 4H, FFA, etc. Any club or group like that would be a good contact. Plus you are touching on the core business leaders in your area when you approach these groups as well. They tend to be one in the same. It can be great exposure even if you don't get a lick of business from the club.

And, it might even be cool exposure to offer yourself to them as a guest speaker for a meeting? Some fun video footage of your Epi in action? A talk about what cool things it can do, if you are willing to haul it you could even take the Mini with you to demo it. It is not toooooo heavy. (heck....I have take my 450 lb wood lathe to demos for groups, at least until I bought a smaller traveling lathe just for that purpose. A Mini would be darn near a helium balloon in comparison! <grin>)

I hope some folks with direct sports experience can pipe up to be more specific help to you!

Dave

Ethernet (N). What you use to catch the Etherbunny.

Mike Null
04-15-2014, 5:38 AM
Bill

I currently serve several schools with some form of awards. Interestingly, none are for athletics and all are private or parochial schools. The awards are for teachers, retirees, and my largest customer orders various achievement awards (honors,perfect attendance etc).

I also work with local universities. The interesting thing there is that there is no coordination within any of the schools. Each dept does their own thing.

While some schools buy no awards from me they will buy name tags and signs.

A number of my commercial customers also leave the buying to individual project managers. In all cases, the secretary/receptionist is a good contact to have.

edit: Churches are excellent prospects. Again, see the secretary and take samples including blank name tags.

Bill Stearns
04-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Thanks guys for your input -
Seems every time I open our local newspaper, there are pictures of youth groups (sports teams, etc.) holding plaques they've received. If the school "workshops" are indeed producing these awards, or if groups are ordering 'em from "cheap" Internet sites, not much I can do 'bout it I guess. Does miff me 'little 'cause these groups do seem to find me easy enough, when they are seeking "donations" for their teams 'n organizations. (So much for supporting local businesses, as they profess to do.) And, seems, those few groups that do approach me are looking for a hand full of $5/$10 awards - so, I'm probably not missing out on much, uh? Like Dave suggests, I'm probably better off approaching local "service organizations". So, guess I won't stay up nights worrying 'bout losing school-related business. Thanks 'gain. - Bill

Mark Sipes
04-15-2014, 10:51 AM
I only have the sales experience I have acquired from running my business for 18 years so I am by far no expert. I have noticed in the last 6 years schools have greatly diminished there awards programs from 6-8 trophies per team/sport to now maybe 4-5 medals. Several schools have cut sports awards out all together. Two of my schools have gone to purchasing Perpetuals and just recognizing the award with a plate. Great 1st year sale for the plaque but poor 11 year follow up.

Even our community sports programs have reduced there awards of trophies ( baseball, soccer, basketball, lacrosse). This is not a function of the organization but of the parents as a whole since the teams purchase direct from vendors not as a club.

My Adult clubs, yacht, fishing, rotary, etc on the other hand have doubled in quantity. with additional "Service Awards" being handed out.

Name tags, while mundane are a money maker. retirement centers, conferences, retail stores, etc

Contractors... electricians, especially.

Just my ramblin's.....

Mike Null
04-15-2014, 11:27 AM
One of the areas of "opportunity" is trophies for young kids teams. These are usually funded by sponsors or parent groups. One of my better decisions was to avoid the temptation to make trophies. Everybody is looking for cheap and they have no loyalty.

David Somers
04-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Bill,

Mark's comment about name tags being mundane but a money maker made me think back. Our woodturning club in HI was a very active club. We did lots of demo's, shows, teaching at schools and clubs, all kinds of stuff. One of the more active clubs I have seen. Anyway....one of our members also did laser engraving as a side business to his turning. As a service he did name tags for the club. It was a big deal to everyone. They were simple rectangles of wood with a simple clasp pin hot glued to the back, but a nice engraved design and club name and your name on it. They looked sharp. When folks joined the club they got one and it was always received and worn proudly. And at events people would always look at them and remark on how nice they looked. Our member who did them got lots of referrals through that and as Mark said, they were mundane but lucrative. And to the members of the club they were worn with pride which added to their cachet when seen by others.

Another thing a different member did was to make mugs as a thank you to folks who worked on our big annual woodturning show. The show was a huge effort for the group. The mugs were a very simple but much prized acknowledgement of your helping out. In this case they were color printed with a unique design for that year and personalized with the member's name. But it is certainly something that could be lasered. The point is this is another mundane recognition a group can do that costs them relatively little but is received by people with great pride, and could be a decent money maker for you. It is also something that is seen by a lot of people. These mugs were used in people's offices and place of work, carried around in their cars, etc. Again, one of those items that was seen by many others and got the maker a lot of referrals.

I might caution you that Hawaii tends to have a very different dynamic than many communities I have seen on the mainland. Things that are a big deal there may or may not have much value here. Hard to tell without trying. But....those were my experiences with these "recognition items" when out there.

Just adding to Mark's comment.

Dave

Dan Hintz
04-15-2014, 2:53 PM
Mark's comment about name tags being mundane but a money maker made me think back. Our woodturning club in HI was a very active club. We did lots of demo's, shows, teaching at schools and clubs, all kinds of stuff. One of the more active clubs I have seen. Anyway....one of our members also did laser engraving as a side business to his turning. As a service he did name tags for the club. It was a big deal to everyone. They were simple rectangles of wood with a simple clasp pin hot glued to the back, but a nice engraved design and club name and your name on it. They looked sharp. When folks joined the club they got one and it was always received and worn proudly. And at events people would always look at them and remark on how nice they looked. Our member who did them got lots of referrals through that and as Mark said, they were mundane but lucrative. And to the members of the club they were worn with pride which added to their cachet when seen by others.

I'll offer a word of warning about offering your laser to clubs... it may work in your favor, and it can also be a royal pain. I was asked to make some nametags by the president of a local turning club, and it was one of my most painful clients to deal with. That's not to say they will all be like that, but be on the lookout. I was continually asked to reduce my prices, do freebies "just this once", etc. I became so disenfranchised by it, I have since sworn off doing jobs like that. If someone wants my service, they pay regular price. Though I rarely get a club member asking for such service any more, I have been much happier.

Ross Moshinsky
04-15-2014, 3:05 PM
One of the areas of "opportunity" is trophies for young kids teams. These are usually funded by sponsors or parent groups. One of my better decisions was to avoid the temptation to make trophies. Everybody is looking for cheap and they have no loyalty.

It's a catch 22. We've all seen that schools are giving out less and less awards. Where the kids get their awards is from the local sports programs. We find the sports programs to be much easier to deal with than the schools ever were. The issue is the lack of loyalty.

My opinion in general when targeting schools and sports programs is you can't be "the laser guy". "The awards guy" is a much better title. With other organizations you can be the "laser guy" but when it comes to schools and sports programs, I don't think you can get away with just using the laser. You need to be willing to deal with trophies and gifts.

Bill Stearns
04-15-2014, 6:00 PM
Hey 'gain -
Was kind' a reassuring to hear Ross mention "lack of loyalty" with these organizations - so, 'least, I know it's not just me 'n my business. These groups, when they do approach me, want "cheap" - and I feel that when it comes to presenting genuine, hard-earned, recognition .... that's ! So, think I'll just try to keep surviving without the "cheap trophy 'n plaque" business. Concentrate on organizations which see, and understand, the value ....

Bill

Tim Bateson
04-16-2014, 10:36 AM
I find these organizations to very "tight". Both in the purse strings & as a group. If you are not a "member" of their inner circle (or related to), it's an up hill battle. One school near here doesn't allow ANY sports ware - even T-shirts that are not pre-approved by the school's director - her husband has a big shop in town (poor screen printing - parents hate it). Another sport's league tried to buy my plaques and trophies - mine were higher quality and a little cheaper. However, the league Prez had a "friend" & any team or parent that tried to buy else-ware were admonished & kid threatened to be removed from the league. I had a lot of parents & coaches wanted to work with me, but were beat into submission.
Also, as others have stated - cheap, cheap, cheap! They all want the best plaque or trophies you make, but want you to either donate it or want a massive discount. A recent Run for charity was charging $30 per runner (they got hundreds), but wanted me to donate 50 medals. I gave them a discounted price, but said no to the donate. They must have found someone gullible. I don't work for free.

Mike Null
04-16-2014, 12:29 PM
If there's anybody worse than parents about poor mouthing I don't know who it would be. I stopped doing Boy Scout stuff and if anybody tries that charity jive with me I quote my highest price.

I do free charity work--but I choose the charities.

AL Ursich
04-16-2014, 1:15 PM
A possible "IN" for the Schools is to offer Cut Acrylic letter names for the School Student Store... something to clip to backpacks... Bright colors.... Once you have your foot in the door as other projects come along you might be considered.

I have a Font called My Chain that adds a closed area around the text. It could make small Key Chain Acrylic or even bigger Teacher Desk Name Tags. Use the Period to make the left side closure and the / backslash to close it on the right. A heart is also one of the keys too.

AL

Bill George
04-16-2014, 6:05 PM
So do you scan the print out from the program above? Otherwise I don't see a way to get the pattern into the laser software?

Bill Stearns
04-16-2014, 7:39 PM
To All -
Sad, yet kind' a good to know I'm not the only one having 'tough time dealing with schools, local organizations, sports teams 'n such. (was starting to wonder.) All these groups seem to want are "donations" and/or dirt-cheap prices - neither of which, when offered, has earned me steady repeat business, 'let alone loyalty of any sort. 'Stead, gonna seek out those organizations which do hand out truck loads of plaques - 'n my case (Northern MN) - fishing tournament outfits, etc. (will mean going after someone else's well established business I suppose.) So, anyway, gonna scratch off worrying 'bout school business. (just hope those kids learning engraving in school shops - making plaques - can find an engraving shop to work at, come the time. (BTW: Tim is right: 'lot of it has to do, not with what you can provide - but, "who you know". I'm at a disadvantage there - as one competitor heads our local Chamber of Commerce! Tough to work 'round that!

Bill

AL Ursich
04-17-2014, 12:39 PM
So do you scan the print out from the program above? Otherwise I don't see a way to get the pattern into the laser software?

The above sample I did in my CarveWright Software but it is a download font as you can see in the font list. It even works in corel.

Find the font, purchase it, and download it... Then make it a outline on your laser and make stuff... You could make the same using the tools in corel but this lets you type it in quick.

This was designed for the Scroll Saw boys to print and paste to wood and manually cut... but it works with a laser or even a CarveWright.

AL

Bill George
04-17-2014, 6:28 PM
Is it for sale on the CarveWright website or where did you find? Ok I found it www coolhammers .com , so instead of printing like it says It can be saved as a Jpeg or Bmp ?