PDA

View Full Version : Threads in transmission

Robert E Lee
06-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Slimline
Before you put the transmission in the tube make sure it has threads. Got one together today and no threads. Does anyone know what thread this has.
I am hoping I can cut the threads without taking it apart.
Bob

Blake McCully
06-24-2005, 9:02 AM
Robert,
If you're going to pop out the transmission, it would probably be easier and cheaper to just buy a new transmission. I've done that (bought a lot of extra parts as well :eek: ) and I don't believe the cost is that great. If my memory serves me correctly, whew don't put any money on it, I believe you can get them 5 in a bag.

If you're near a Woodcraft store I know they stock them.

Robert E Lee
06-26-2005, 4:31 PM
Blake, Thanks for the information. I fowled it up getting it out and put another one in. everything is ok again. I think one could make a puller with a peice of threaded rod and a brass tube and washer.( If it had threads in it.) I can't find nobody in town that can tell me which thread it is or buy a bolt that will fit it.
Bob

Hank Walczak
06-27-2005, 5:06 PM
Robert - I thought I could do that too, but found that the threads aren't deep enough and the metal too soft. I got a disassembler kit and it works great. It only takes a few seconds to completely disassemble a complete pen. It's most likely your best bet and the least likely to ruin your turning, IMHO.

Hank

Robert E Lee
06-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Thanks Hank, it was just a thought that I guess will not work. Oh well back to the punches.
Bob

Thomas Wyatt
06-28-2005, 8:53 AM
Robert one of my best purchases was the 7mm disassembly kit. I have used it on a number of different kits. Also you can use drill bits in a pinch. just put them in backwards and tap out. I would reccommend using old bits.

I have not wrecked a piece since getting the kit or using the bits.