PDA

View Full Version : a couple more from the woods...

David Coburn
04-14-2014, 9:21 AM
I week or two back I posted the first bowl that came from a trip to a friends land in East Texas. It was crazy spalted and it took a lot of cyanoacrylate to hold it together... I did three more this past weekend and I liked these better than the first on because they kept their edges and had different shapes... Anyway, here's a quick pic of my weekend work... The front one is the largest and it's about 10" across the top at it's widest spot.

cya,
david

Jak Kelly
04-14-2014, 10:23 AM
That's cool!!!!!!
I like the rustic look, I would think that pieces such as this would sale easily.

Chip Sutherland
04-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Nice work neighbor. I love that spalting. I had some good spalting from red oak and sassafras I harvested from Mineola but not as good as yours. I used Miniwax hardener for mine. Worked just fine for me and took about 1 can per blank about the size of your bowls. I did crack one but it was due to my impatience and overloading the hardener. I patched it with epoxy tinted turquoise with coffee grounds and turquoise chips.

The bowl in front is an awesome shallow shape.

Jak Kelly
04-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Nice work neighbor. I love that spalting. I had some good spalting from red oak and sassafras I harvested from Mineola but not as good as yours. I used Miniwax hardener for mine. Worked just fine for me and took about 1 can per blank about the size of your bowls. I did crack one but it was due to my impatience and overloading the hardener. I patched it with epoxy tinted turquoise with coffee grounds and turquoise chips.

The bowl in front is an awesome shallow shape.

I love the stuff with the turquoise "patch-in". How is that done????

David Coburn
04-14-2014, 1:45 PM
Thanks guys...

Chip,
I got this wood from right out there as well. Real close to a little town called Hainesville right between Mineola and Quitman.

david

jwjerry w kowalski
04-14-2014, 9:33 PM
Great spalting gives it a crazy rustic look, how neat!