PDA

View Full Version : Weekend score

Adam Cruea
04-13-2014, 7:36 PM
Whilst helping my wife with her business this weekend, I found this little duder on the floor of the antique shop we were watching.

Poor little guy was all alone, neglected, dirty, stinky, and covered in what seemed to be motor oil.

Started around 1PM today, and just finished up cleaning it. A Dremel with a steel wool attachment was used, as well as penetrating oil and some 120 sandpaper to make sure the bottom and sides were flat, also to get the surface rust (which covered pretty much the entire plane) off the blade and breaker.

Little Bedrock 603. Should be great for those smaller projects that need a smoother. The best part is that it was scored for all of $65. From Supertool or that Fleabag place, they generally go for $200+. :D

That's a scrap piece of soft maple there. Takes a beautiful shaving with no chatter. :)

Steve Voigt
04-13-2014, 7:42 PM
You suck! :D
Do all the bedrocks have the squared-off sides?

Adam Cruea
04-13-2014, 7:50 PM
Only the later ones. The earliest types have rounded sides and slightly lighter/thinner castings.

Bah, I meant to say, I think the early type are also the ones that don't have the frog pin screws. I'd check since one of my #7's is an earlier type Bedrock, but I'm too lazy to waddle to my basement.

Daniel Rode
04-13-2014, 8:29 PM
Looks like you found a diamond in the rough. For $65 and a only little cleanup work, I think you really scored!

Bill Houghton
04-13-2014, 9:03 PM
Thoughtful of you to rescue it.

Jim Koepke
04-13-2014, 9:16 PM
That is a nice score.

The early Bedrocks had screws securing the frog. The models with the pins were the first Stanley planes to allow the frog to be adjusted without removing the blade. Though the sloped ramp caused the depth of the blade to change when the mouth is adjusted.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
04-14-2014, 8:04 PM
Good for you Adam! What a great find!
Fred