PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Starts Tomorrow

Corey Hallagan
06-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Well, number 2 never called or sent me a bid, number three was 100.00 higher than number 1. Number 1 CALLED ME tonight to check back with me as he is starting a commercial job to keep a couple guys working and he could start mine tomorrow himself and finish up next week. So number 1 got the job. He will do at quoted price and he will upgrade to 150 Amp service, give me an extra outlet on my new run in the shop. Run a new length of conduit on exsisting run on the other side and put a new outlet there right behind my cabinet and put an outlet in the ceiling for shop light. Then I lose all extension cords. I should be able to do almost anything without using an extension cord. So he will start tomorrow and do the outside work and Monday put up new panel and pipe and finish any on Tuesday. By Tuesday evening, Ican make saw dust.

Corey

Dale Thompson
06-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Corey,
You've been so hung up on these quotes that I worry about your WWing concentration. ;) You may need a couple of 20 year-old, bikini-clad ladies to monitor you and make sure that your focus is on the project at hand! :D

Just a thought, bud! ;)

Dale T.

Corey Hallagan
06-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Dale, that would work!! :) No, just been putting it off getting them and I really need my table saw for some remod builtin work so ready to rock on this!!! Seriously, will be much better in the shop in a couple days. Now, back to my plastering of the living room walls!!

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
06-24-2005, 12:36 AM
Corey, I wanted you to know that hearing the story about your electrical job has prompted me to get my own power problems handled at home. (Like you, I need to upgrade the main service panel, and I also want a sub-panel for the garage/shop.) The electrician is coming by tomorrow to give me a price. I had very similar work done by this guy a few years ago at my last house, after getting 3 or 4 estimates (ranging from $800 to $2,200 for the same work). He's proven to me that he'll do a good job for a fair price, so I'll probably only get his quote - no others. I guess the moral of the story is that if you find someone you like, it's easier choosing contractors the second time.

Enjoy your new power, and happy sawdust-making -

- Vaughn

Corey Hallagan
06-24-2005, 1:04 AM
Thanks Vaughn and I agree, if all goes well which I fully expect it to, I will have him back in the fall to do some other stuff for me and will be glad to refer him anytime as well. I had a good feeling about him in the beginning. He explained it all well etc, now we will see if he delivers.

Corey

Chris Fite
06-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Good luck with the electrical work. I find it hard to get anyone to bid on things. I am still trying to find someone to install the sheetrock in my shop. The 12 foot ceiling keeps it from being DIY. I can't get anyone to call back.

I have found an excellent electrician, small shop, of course.

Chris Padilla
06-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Good luck with the electrical work. I find it hard to get anyone to bid on things. I am still trying to find someone to install the sheetrock in my shop. The 12 foot ceiling keeps it from being DIY. I can't get anyone to call back.

I have found an excellent electrician, small shop, of course.

Chris,

Small jobs can be tough. What you want is a guy who wants to make some extra working on the weekends. Calling a big contractor probably won't help you much because small jobs don't make them any money--what you want is to talk to the rockers of that company if you can...not the big boss. If you have a local place where all the sheetrock guys go for supplies, you can probably find some leads there. Mosey into new construction...you can find some leads there by poking around a bit.

I was lucky with my garage gut/remodel. I found a friend through SMC who knew a guy who knew a guy and I had my garage sheetrocked one weekend for a quite a reasonable cost. I also learned quite a bit watching him!

Corey Hallagan
06-24-2005, 7:47 PM
Actually the guy who didn't get back to me is a good freind of the guy I hired I found out today. He didn't tell me that before. Said he is a big shop does a bunch of commercial stuff. My guy does just enough to keep him and his crew going. Alot of the guys I talked to on the phone weren't interested in remodel or service/repair work. All they want to do is blow thru the new tracts.
Anyway the main went in, new meter is set and will rock on Monday!

Corey

Dale Thompson
06-24-2005, 9:32 PM
Anyway the main went in, new meter is set and will rock on Monday!

Corey

Corey,
Just remember that with the electrons flowing, the power tool motors are going to start getting eager. :D Don't hurt yourself in your excitement and may the "Power be With You"! ;) :)

Dale T.

Bill Lewis
06-26-2005, 5:08 PM
Corey,

Congrats on getting the work done. I know there's something else you'd rather spend your money on, but this upgrade will really give you some peace of mind. Remember to post pics of the new panel. I think it qualifies as a gloat!