PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable finishing sander

Clarence Martin
04-13-2014, 4:05 PM
can this sander be safely used with wet dry sandpaper using oil as a lubricant for the sandpaper ?

lowell holmes
04-13-2014, 4:36 PM
I've used WD-40 without consequences.

Jak Kelly
04-13-2014, 5:12 PM
Just be careful at first, as it could get VERY messy!!!! Start with a small amount of liquid, maybe even smear it around a little before you flip the switch..........

Kent A Bathurst
04-14-2014, 6:32 PM
I've used WD-40 without consequences.

Sorry, Lowell - no offense intended - but - YIKES !!

WD-40 is not really a lubricant. It is more along the lines of a de-sieze agent.

I would, instead, use:
1. Mineral oil, cut by mineral spirits a bit to make it more "liquid". This is commonly used with pumice + rottenstone for rub-out.
2. Or - Camellia oil - which I, and others, use to lube planes and chisels. - Leaves no trace on wood.

Matt Day
04-15-2014, 6:49 AM
I've used my Bosch ROS with wd-40 and sandpaper, and the last step for me is to stick a big scotch bright pad (the ones that are like 5"x7").
I use the wd sparingly with the sandpaper, but go a bit heavier with the scotch bright. Every once and a while you'll get some spattering, but overall it's a pretty clean process.

lowell holmes
04-15-2014, 8:31 AM
I can't comprehend applying oil to a wood surface.

I was de-rusting cast iron surface with wd-40 and wet/dry sandpaper.

The hazards between oil and wd-40 in my mind are similar.

If I'm working a wood surface, I would likely use hand planes and then cabinet scrapers.

I lube hand planes, chisels and handsaws with either paraffin or bees wax.

I use mineral oil on cutting boards and use oil finishes such as danish oils on furniture.
That's not the same as 3in1 oil or some other lube oil.

Kent A Bathurst
04-16-2014, 12:42 PM
I can't comprehend applying oil to a wood surface.

I was de-rusting cast iron surface with wd-40 and wet/dry sandpaper.

The hazards between oil and wd-40 in my mind are similar.

If I'm working a wood surface, I would likely use hand planes and then cabinet scrapers.

I lube hand planes, chisels and handsaws with either paraffin or bees wax.

I use mineral oil on cutting boards and use oil finishes such as danish oils on furniture.
That's not the same as 3in1 oil or some other lube oil.

Well - the oil I mentioned was in reference to rubbing out a finish - so no contact with the wood.

On de-rusting metal - yeah, then I'm right there with you, Just saying WD-40 is not really a lubricant, that's all.

lowell holmes
04-16-2014, 3:24 PM
Do you think that sometimes we hear what we want to hear?

Not me:)

David Eisenhauer
04-16-2014, 3:37 PM
WD-40 is essentially diesel fluid and, as stated above, is much, much more effective as a "break-free" fluid rather than as a lubricant.