PDA

View Full Version : Chipper Shredder Question

Rich Riddle
04-13-2014, 11:37 AM
I have an old Troy Bilt 10 HP chipper shredder. It's drive pulley directly off the engine via a shaft is getting the belt extremely hot after about ten minutes of operation. Any ideas? Thanks.

Darryl Hazen
04-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Is it possible the heating is caused by belt slippage rather than engine heat?

Jerome Stanek
04-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Check to see if the two pulleys line up. If the are off that will cause the belt to heat

Pat Barry
04-13-2014, 4:36 PM
Is it possible the heating is caused by belt slippage rather than engine heat?
Loose belt sounds likely. Maybe stretched a bit. Once it is heated up it will become a bit looser

Rich Riddle
04-13-2014, 4:38 PM
I will look at the belt, but it is brand new and the machine is starting to ruin belts, kevlar belts. The schematic is also available, and it more or less showed what you had indicated....there really is no reason the heat should be transferring to the pulley via the 10 HP motor. Your folks theory should be easy enough to check. I will just run the machine without a belt and see if the drive pulley gets hot. If not, the problem isn't in the drive mechanism or bearings, etc.

Rich Riddle
04-13-2014, 6:11 PM
The chipper shredder ran ten minutes minus a belt and did NOT heat up the drive pulley just like you folks said; it was the belt heating the pulley. Looking at the chipper, I noticed a bar that keeps the belt "in-line" when you slack it. You do this when you start the engine or when you want to disengage the chipper from the engine. Here is a picture to explain it better. The bar bad actually moved and was contacting the belt on top the entire time the chipper was going. Realigning the bar solved the problem. Thanks again.

Pat Barry
04-13-2014, 6:56 PM
Nice work investigating and finding the root cause. I was going to tell you that you were working too fast for the poor old machine and maybe needed to slow down your feed rate a bit.

Darryl Hazen
04-14-2014, 7:19 PM
Glad to hear you solved the problem! It looks like that bar above the belt may have had a rubber roller on it a one time.

Tom M King
04-15-2014, 10:05 AM
I'll bet the cutters need sharpening too. Even with the big ones, sharp blades help a lot.