PDA

View Full Version : New to site with BS question

Dave Mapes
06-23-2005, 8:05 PM
:) Just discovered this site after lurking in a few others and had to join.

I'm new to woodworking as I just retired and am beginning a lifelong desire.
As a first project I am building my grand daughter a Curio Cabinet that has really become a learning experience.

Shop has a TS, planner, radial Arm , drill press, , router table. I am looking at BS and really like the lungna LT16 but cost is a factor. I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with the Grizzly 17".

Mike Cutler
06-23-2005, 9:38 PM
Dave. I don't have any experience with either of those saws, but I know that there are a few members on the board that have the Grizzly, and like it alot, and there are also some that have the Laguna and speak highly of it.
This past winter seemed to be "bandsaw winter", it was as if everyone, me included, was eyeballing new bandsaws. I'm sure a search would keep ya' busy for awhile
Mostly I just wanted to say welcome to the board, and pleased to meet ya'

Ken Fitzgerald
06-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dave! Neat place to trade information. If you have access to last years FWW magazines ....They tested 18" bandsaws. Might be worth the read. Again.....Welcome to the Creek!

Cecil Arnold
06-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Welcome. As Ken says, FWW did a review and found the Rikon (sp?) to be a really good value. I don't work for them and have a mm16.

John Miliunas
06-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Dave. As mentioned, I'm sure you can find oodles of info here on bandsaws. Seems to me that, at the higher end saws, SMC harbors many MM users. Personally, I have a Laguna 16HD and am thrilled with it. :) But, having said that, I've seen a LOT of folks happy with their Grizzly, Jet, Delta, Ridgid, Rikon and others. In my way of thinking, a big part of the decision process would include how much and how you plan on using the BS. Resawing? Bigger, more powerful motor will be the norm. "Normal" cuts or some pattern cutting, you could get by with much less.:) Anyhow, once more, welcome and be sure to stop by often and stay long!:) :cool:

John Hart
06-24-2005, 6:41 AM
Welcome Dave. Happy Retirement! I only have 20 more years to toil away:eek: I'm sure you'll enjoy WW...there's just nothing quite like it. Bandsaws? So many choices and I just recently decided on a Delta 14 for pricing reasons mostly. Good bang for the buck. Limited to 6" thickness, but it handles all densities just fine and it cuts straight. That's all I needed really. Lots of good advice here on the Creek.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-24-2005, 8:11 AM
Welcome Dave! Wish I could retire and just work in the shop all the time...enjoy it!

Dennis Fairman
06-24-2005, 8:25 AM
Dave, I've got the Laguna 16HD. They've beefed up the motor since I bought mine, but I've never found anything it didn't slice through like butter! I'm sure what ever you buy, you'll be happy with. Just buy quality and you'll never regret it!

Larry D. Wagner
06-24-2005, 8:56 AM
:) Dave,

I have the Grizzly 17" and I am extremely happy with it. I purchased mine before the price increase and it was the best bang for the buck out there.
Only thing I would do if & when you puchase it, is get a quality blade or two for it. The one that comes with saw is marginal at best. I think it is still one of the best saws for the money out there.

My .02 worth!

Larry :) :) :)

Steve Beadle
06-24-2005, 12:02 PM
:) Just discovered this site after lurking in a few others and had to join.

I'm new to woodworking as I just retired and am beginning a lifelong desire.
As a first project I am building my grand daughter a Curio Cabinet that has really become a learning experience.

Glad to see another Oregonian joining the SMC forum! I am about 7 or 8 years away from retirement--if I make it that far! Most of my woodworking is for family and friends, though I haven't done too much WW at all lately, owing to back and knee problems. My shop is a two-car garage. Although I have a homemade router table, a Compound Miter Saw, thickness planer, biscuit joiner, power hand tools, and a reliable 1980's-era Shopsmith with bandsaw and belt sander, I really appreciate using handplanes, chisels, scrapers, and handsaws. I am currently trying to fettle a #8 Stanley jointer plane. It's taking a long time and a lot of sweat to get the sole flattened.

I hope to see you posting on the Creek often. Welcome!

Hal Flynt
06-24-2005, 1:40 PM
I am a very Happy Rikon 18 owner. I installed a new Woodslicer 3/4" from Highland Hardware and can resaw 1/16" Lyptus veneer. I would do it again.