PDA

View Full Version : Changing the dimensions of the engraveable area on chinese lasers

Roger Lueck
04-13-2014, 12:26 AM
Has anyone "tweaked" (increased) the x and y axis software settings to increase the travel on a Chinese laser? I need about 3/8" more of travel on the x axis to cut a complete circle. There is about 3/4" - 1" of travel available, just not sure where the changes to increase the axis setting can be made. The limit switches are only located at the "home" end of each axis. Software for my machine is Laserworks.

Thank You,
Roger

George M. Perzel
04-13-2014, 9:33 AM
Hi Roger;
Change the X axis size under Vendor settings- password is RD8888. Also under Config tab, Page setting, change X value. You may have to experiment a bit.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Jerome Stanek
04-13-2014, 9:57 AM
I have increased mine by 25mm in the x and y using the vender settings. Laserworks 6

Roger Lueck
04-13-2014, 4:12 PM
George & Jerome,

Thank You; your answers were the exact answers for which I was searching. When I purchased the laser the tech that was helping me was searching through the menus and I noticed the ability to increase the settings and asked about them to which I received the reply that it was an area I shouldn't concern myself with.

Thank You Again,
Roger

Roger Lueck
04-13-2014, 8:35 PM
George,

When you stated at the end of your message "You may have to experiment a bit", I assumed you were referring the number of mm's in the "breadth setting" of the Vendor Settings or were you referring to settings other than the "breadth setting" may need to be modified in addition to the "breadth setting"?

Roger

George M. Perzel
04-14-2014, 7:04 AM
Roger;
The former- not sure how many mms you can add before it hits the limit switch.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Jerome Stanek
04-14-2014, 7:24 AM
On mine I moved the home switch back to just before the carriage hit the hard stop and measured the distance to the other hard stop and saw I had 530 mm so I set mine at 525.

Jonathan Bowen
04-14-2014, 11:08 AM
I bought mine thinking I was getting 16" by 12" but was really 400mm by 300mm. So I tweaked it up to 16" by 12". I still design in 400mm by 300mm as my material is usually a bit short and I like a bit of wiggle room as I cut to the edge a lot. Increasing the engraving area has been something I've been trying to figure out for a bit. I'd like to extend the travel so that the head can hit the edges of the cutting area and still have slow down room. However the home switches present an issue when doing that. I'd also like to get more speed from my head because I find myself etching full sheet more and more for tokens and such. Its taking 1.5 hours per sheet at the stock 400mm/s.

BTW I have a Hurricane Agnes (GWeike)

Kev Williams
04-14-2014, 12:32 PM
If I set up a job that will cause over-run of the the head to travel farther left than home position, the machine knows it and will tell me so. One problem I found with this is, in some cases the machine won't let me know until the engraving is half finished! (I have a botched aluminum panel next to my computer to remind me of this!)

And I'm pretty sure if I added work area size in the software, all the extra would be added RIGHT and/or DOWN, but not left or up.

Another issue with mine I need to fix, is the left zero switch was mounted about an inch too far right on the gantry. Because of that, when my head reaches the extreme right, the head's right bearing wheels run off the rails! (not sure why the guide rails arent' as long as the gantry, but they're not)

Roger Lueck
04-15-2014, 10:38 PM
Roger;
The former- not sure how many mms you can add before it hits the limit switch.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

George,

Thank you for the response, I wanted to sure that was the intent of your message.

Roger