PDA

View Full Version : Old WT shaper speed

John C Bush
04-12-2014, 10:39 PM
I have and old WT shaper--S1140--that I have only used a couple of times and fired it up today and the motor started just fine, ran at a steady rpm for 5-10 sec., then increased rpm a bunch. Did the same in reverse. It repeated the same thing after trying a few more times, and now stays at the lower rpm with no increase. I let it run for a few min. with no change in speed, shut it down and the motor felt a little warm. Not sure if there is centifical switch issue, winding issue, etc. It is the original motor I had rebuilt but have only used it a couple of times, for short runs, in the 4+ yrs I've had it. Any electric motor pros out there. Yhans, John.

Mark Wooden
04-13-2014, 7:21 PM
Sounds like the grease has separated and the wax that's left is letting the motor get to speed when it gets soft enough. Try it with the belt off; if it's the same, you probably need to change the motor bearings. If the motor gets to normal speed right away, it may be old grease in the spindle bearings which you can probably flush and pump in new grease with the grease cups.
Do you have an instruction sheet and (exploded) parts list for the shaper?

John C Bush
04-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Thanks Mark,

That all sounds reasonable. I took the grease cups off the spindle assembly and there wasn't much in them and the grease at the extrusion point was firm. The grease is a tan color and I didn't want to use the automotive grease that I have. I will remove the belt and see if that makes a difference. Interesting tho that when I run it in reverse now the speed stays at the lower rpm and the motor seems to be over loaded and the rmp increases and decreases. No burning phenolic resin scent so I don't think the motor is burning up. Not familiar with electric motor electronics and didn't consider a mechanical issue. Thanks, and I may bug you with more ??? JCB

Rod Sheridan
04-14-2014, 9:29 AM
Its certainly sounding like a starting switch/starting capacitor issue with me betting on the switch........Regards, Rod.

jack forsberg
04-14-2014, 10:05 AM
is it a single phase RI (rotary induction) motor? could just be an adjustment. do you have a pic of the motor plate?

Mark Wooden
04-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Single phase motor? If the motor sound overloaded, may be the start/run cap. You had it rebuilt? Were the bearings done?
PM Sent

John C Bush
04-14-2014, 1:37 PM
Single phase 220V 1hp induction motor. Other specs from the plate: frame 120-- type KEB10G-- amps 19/9.5--t.rise 40deg C cont.-- rpm 3450--s.f.1.25. not sure what all that means. I took the belt off the spindle and the rpm immediately goes to assumed max. in both directions. Put the belt in lower speed pulleys and again max rpm in both directions. Moved belt to high speed pulleys and wouldn't reach max rpm. Spindle bearings seem OK--no runout and spins easily/smoothlyby hand. Motor armature spins easily as well so bearing not issue. I let it run a few minutes w/o belt/max rpm and the motor seemed to get pretty warm--not hot but higher temp than best guess @ 40deg C. Any suggestios on further testing to reach a diagnosis. Thanks, JCB.