PDA

View Full Version : Little piece of hickory

Rob Miller
04-12-2014, 10:11 PM
I finished up a little hickory bowl I started last week. Rough turned green, dried in the microwave, about 5" in diameter. I could have done a little better on the finish on the inside, but I'm satisfied. My first bowl, and my wife has dibs. ;-)

Tom Sherman
04-12-2014, 10:28 PM
looks like a good start Rob, Hickory can be a pain sometimes.

Rob Miller
04-13-2014, 1:17 AM
Such a pretty grain though. Lots more where that came from. We don't see it much out here in the desert. It's got some punky spots, though.

Jak Kelly
04-13-2014, 8:51 AM
Looks good.

jwjerry w kowalski
04-13-2014, 9:10 AM
Man, that's some good looking wood, the only thing I don't like about hickory is the smell.

James Combs
04-13-2014, 2:56 PM
Great looking wood and bowl. I love the grain of Hickory but you don't see it on here much which is shame. My first experience other than a pen was making a shadow box out of some kiln dried hickory bead board a few months ago. Stuff really likes to splinter and crack in board form, how is it to turn in larger then pen blank pieces?

Rob Miller
04-13-2014, 8:20 PM
Great looking wood and bowl. I love the grain of Hickory but you don't see it on here much which is shame. My first experience other than a pen was making a shadow box out of some kiln dried hickory bead board a few months ago. Stuff really likes to splinter and crack in board form, how is it to turn in larger then pen blank pieces?

Turning it has been fairly easy, as it is still green, although as a turner I am equally green. You have to be careful drying it in the microwave as it is prone to checking. I just went very slowly at a low setting and tried not to overheat it. I also microwaved it in a plastic bag, which seemed to help.

Thomas Canfield
04-13-2014, 9:39 PM
First Bowl? Better number and sign it to remember how far you progress. Nice looking #1. Not the easiest shape to start out. Looking forward to your future work.

Jason Ritchie
04-14-2014, 4:19 AM
Congrats on your first bowl! That's a nice shape and some good looking wood.