PDA

View Full Version : 2 hours of your time

Gail O'Rourke
06-23-2005, 7:36 PM
So, my question is two fold:

How many unfinished projects do you have in your shop?

What can you finish in 2 hours?

I have a few...but my rule is never have more than three unfinished projects at a time. Some jigs to build, some small pieces....

Below is two adirondacks that I made with my brothers over 2 years ago...for many reasons these chairs were never finished and today, in 2 hours, I put them together and Voila, 2 chairs. It felt like a freebie....

What do you have in your shop?

Larry Norton
06-23-2005, 8:01 PM
See! I told you she was fast!

Gail, since you have so much "free" time, I could use 2 of them. They would look great on our front porch.

Martin Shupe
06-23-2005, 8:13 PM
Oh Gail, did you have to ask that question?

1. Couch table for my wife, in final stages of finish, oil is on, needs 3 coats of Waterlox on the base. More than 2 hours, I am afraid. Waterlox needs to dry several days between coats. Still learning about rubbing it out. This is priority one.

2. Blanket chest started 2 years ago. Needs the top attached, a base built, and the inside drawer built and installed. This one is for my daughter. I have been delaying this project, trying to figure out how and what kind of molding to put around the lid.

3. Small book/nebulizer shelf for my son. It will go next to his bed when it is done. Need to build a base for it, 75% complete.

4. Shaker round stand...Bill Grumbine can tell you how many years ago I turned the center post...3 or maybe 4? I'll get it done someday, Bill, I promise.

5. Small Shaker carrier. Done except for the bent ash handle. I need to find some ash, and then learn how to do steam bending.

6. Shaker side table. This is the one I posted a while back on the design forum. It looks great, and just needs two drawers to be complete.

7. 1/3 scale Shaker blanket chest. I sized this one to fit my FWW collection and woodworking magazines. The carcase is done, I need to make the bottom and glue it together.

The good news is that my skills have been getting better, and I did finish two whole projects this year :D , the Shaker serving tray I posted, and a small bedside table that I am waiting to post next to the two drawer version.

My dovetails are not perfect, but getting better. Too bad I am a perfectionist, so I'll have to keep working on them.

My wife has said that I should finish the projects I have in work before starting any new ones, and I have lots of projects I want to build. I think if I stopped collecting plans today, I would already have enough projects I want to build until I am at least 75.

My excuse is that I am gone 60% of the month at work, and when I am home, I try to put my kids and wife before my woodworking. My shop time is usually after the kids are in bed, until the early morning hours.

Another excuse is that I cannot simultaneously put finish on a project and work on another one. Can't use Waterlox in the house...my son has asthma. When I finish a big project, I put an old blanket on top of my tablesaw and then can't use the tablesaw until it is dry.

I also need to build a workbench, and a new stand for my compound miter saw. It was on an old particle board TV stand, which collapsed about 2 months ago.

I envy those of you that are home every night. There is nothing like sleeping in your own bed, and being able to work in your shop a little each night.

Hey Gail, I looked at your website. I loved the chair you made at American Sycamore, but did not see it on the 2005 schedule (not that I could make it this year, but perhaps in the future). Do you have a link to your instructor's website?

Almost forgot, welcome aboard. Be sure to post lots of pics.

Michael Pfau
06-23-2005, 8:42 PM
Nothing leaves my shop without being totally finished! When it leaves I don't want it back!

Mike Cutler
06-23-2005, 9:30 PM
The only projects currently on the boards are an interior Arts and Crafts style door, with an antique stained glass center panel, and I'm trying to come up with a really nice, portable Hunter/Jumper, Dressage tack box design for events and shows. I'm thinking of a scaled down, two door Armoire, curved front, with a fold out mirror.

PS I think I just got the meaning of "America's Hometown". Very cool. ;)

Steve Ash
06-23-2005, 9:35 PM
Currently I have 2 unfinished projects....1 is my son's gun cabinet that is all assembled, but he wanted to do the finishing himself. Since I got it built and ready for him to finish, he got an apprenticeship as an electrician so I guess I might as well finish it myself.
The second is a router table (Norm's design) which is all done except the formica top...which I suspect will be getting done soon.

Jeff Fritzson
06-23-2005, 9:43 PM
Two projects:

A table saw workstation to get some much needed TS storage and dust collection for my contractor saw (still without a motor).

A glass storage unit to hold Bullseye and Moretti rods as well as Bullseye fusing glass. My wife designs in wire and glass. One unit for her and one for me keeps things harmonious:D

Jeff

Tony Falotico
06-23-2005, 9:46 PM
is my biggest unfinished project, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18468 been working on it for a year and a half. Shop cab's, shelves, router table, work bench, tool stands are among the list of ongoing unfinished projects. Work bench in pic is complete, another bench and some Cabinets have been added since pic's were taken.

What can I do in two hours ?? Not very much at all. Woodworking is a hobby, not my means of making a living, so the little time I get in the shop I work at my own pace, do what I want, stare a lot, enjoy and savor every moment. :) :) I'm an engineer by trade, so much of my WW is massive, over designed and overbuilt. It's an issue I'm trying to get over. :D

Corey Hallagan
06-23-2005, 9:56 PM
My shop cabinets. Needs doors on one cab and drawers on the other. 2 hours will get a good start but not finish it. Not for me anyway :) Waiting on the new electrical and the TS will then be able to be used!

Corey

Frank Pellow
06-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Gail, it's not fair for a newbie to ask such an embarrassing question. All the following are things that I have actually started:

1. Cabinets to go beside my recently finished Murphy bed (about 20 hours work remaining)

2. A toy box for my grandson (about 6 hours work remaining)

3. A toboggan for my grandson (about 4 hours work remaining)

4. A steamer trunk for my honourary niece (about 24 hours work remaining)

5. Refinish two Muskoka chairs (about 8 hours work remaining)

6. Assemble an finish a stool to go with one of the Muskoka chairs (about 3 hours work remaining)

7. Replace the finish and the hardware on 6 cabinets for our sewing/guest room (about 16 hours work remaining)

8. Bookcase with sliding doors for a friend (being built with that friend) (about 20 hours work remaining)

9. Another rolling cabinet for the shop (about 6 hours work remaining)
The list of projects that I have more or less promised but not started is longer. Yet another long list would be the construction/maintenance projects outside the shop that I have both underway and in the queue.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-23-2005, 10:14 PM
Gee.....thanks Gail! I now have to own up to the fact that my new shop was started a year ago and it's still not finished. I'm mudding and taping the ceiling right now. This is the part that I can find many and any excuses to not work on it......Did I mention I hate finishing drywall?.......I've got a lot of plans for jigs etc when the shop is finished but........soon.....later this year.....

Dan Oliphant
06-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Gail,
I try not to spent too many hours on another clients project until the previous clients project is completed. That is not to say that I will not work on jobs in parallel, but I try to work in series as much as possible out of fairness to my clients. I tell all my clients that I will work in series as the jobs are booked, that way the timing for delivery is more controllable.

Larry Norton
06-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Gail, it's not in the shop, but there is this vanity......

I'm working on an ordered white triple shelf, then I'm starting on an order for a place mat cabinet for a lady that collects them.

John Hart
06-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Hmmmm...what I haven't finished is usually related to the things that I've forgotten about or stashed. But here's the main ones

1. Four Treasure chests....need 12 hours
2. Butcher block table...needs 20 hours
3. Pile of turned bowls...still drying...Can't guess the time left
4. blanket chest....8 hours
5. 4 Pen boxes ...2 hours left

Not as much as I thought...must have forgotten the rest:D

Frank Pellow
06-23-2005, 10:18 PM
...Did I mention I hate finishing drywall?...

Hey Ken, you don't get any sympathy from me. :D I advised you to use plywood rather than drywall. :p

Michael Gabbay
06-23-2005, 10:22 PM
My biggest unfinished project is the sister to this guy. All the pieces are milled and ready for final cuts and M&T. The top and shelf have been glued are are still flat after 7 or 8 months. The table is my own design and is made from walnut. I put a wipe-on poly finish. After I'm done with my bathroom remodel I will finish it.

Jim Dunn
06-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Well let's see, hmmmm.

My shop should do to start. But that alot more than 2hrs worth.

Drawers for a built in cabinet should be about a 2hr job.

Brent Smith
06-23-2005, 10:34 PM
I don't start a project until the last one is finished.It wasn't always like that! I used to have 5-6 going at the same time, but, after milling the wrong piece more than once I decided to get a bit more organized. I finished everything that was going, cleaned the shop, and started fresh. Now when someone asks me to make them something I tell them it'll be ready when it's ready, that way I don't feel pressure to do 3 things at once. After every project is finished I do a good cleaning of the shop.

I realize this approach is impossible for those of you who earn a living just on woodworking, but, for me it makes the whole thing much more enjoyable.

Brent

John Hart
06-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Brent,

Wish I could be like that!!... Maybe someday:rolleyes: Well...probably not.:o

Dev Emch
06-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Gail...

Your funny:) How many unfinished projects do I have lying about......

Fortunately, as I do high end work for a living, not many projects that are both of wood and in an unfinished state are lying about. My policy is to get the work in and out as fast as possible.

But when it comes to boys-toys, that is another story. I love heavy iron woodworking machines and actually rebuild and restore much of what I have with the exception of the new martin saw and the hofmann shaper. I have my own small machine shop and make and refurb parts. The problem is that once you break down a working machine for restoration, you wind up spending tons of spare time on it and making sure each and every part is perfect. Sometimes that means making wooden patterns and getting new parts cast in a foundary. So you wind up with a few card tables in the back with inventories of parts on them covered by sheets waiting for new parts or more spare time. Its a serious addiction and as most oliver owners will tell you, they are already in the oliver -12. That is not a jointer but rather the a 12 step program:o About the closet 2 hour project I have would have to be the new legs for my DeWalt GE RAS. I am making these out of solid 1/2 inch thick by 8 inch angle steel. These are tapered and have weldments on the top and bottom along with threaded feet. It will have chrome plated handles and high gloss industrial paint. I got the idea from Redmonds in Alanta. They have an awsome RAS restored and on the floor.

At any rate, nice set of chairs. Those are great along with a nice drink and a warm summer evening practicing the fine art of doing nothing.:D

Michael Stafford
06-24-2005, 5:48 AM
I hate to think how many unfinished projects I have in my shop. I make boxes and I have boxes full of rough cut boxes, lid panels and the like. I keep them in plastic boxes with the plans or sketches and when I need one I take it out and finish it up.... I am not sure that counts as procrastination or thinking ahead. :confused:

RichMagnone
06-24-2005, 6:46 AM
Does it count if the project is just a big pile of wood in the middle of the garage floor?

Worst project hanging is a re-furbishing of an old arts and crafts rocker that belonged to my wife's great grandmother. When we got married, I didn't have the $1000 quoted to restore it so I thought I would do it myself. It is all taken apart and sitting in a box in the corner of the garage. Waiting.

Gail O'Rourke
06-24-2005, 7:14 AM
Well, there sure is a long list for some. Thanks for sharing, it also give me an idea of what you all do for woodwork and fun.

I usually have projects for clients going and my personal stuff gets pushed to the side. I am currently sitting at an unfinished office suite. My summer schedule is lighter with the kids home, so maybe that's next.

But I got to clear 2 more shelves yesterday...so I need to head out and buy more wood now.

Thanks again,

John Hart
06-24-2005, 7:20 AM
Sounds like a piano restoration I did a couple of years ago. It is over 100 years old and had been exposed to a fire. (it was pretty ugly) It took me over a year of tinkering and, yes, a bit of procrastination, but I finally finished it. It is a beautiful addition to our house.

Does it count if the project is just a big pile of wood in the middle of the garage floor?

Worst project hanging is a re-furbishing of an old arts and crafts rocker that belonged to my wife's great grandmother. When we got married, I didn't have the $1000 quoted to restore it so I thought I would do it myself. It is all taken apart and sitting in a box in the corner of the garage. Waiting.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-24-2005, 7:24 AM
Well I have two, but they aren't in the shop, they are in the "Finishing room" (Read basement). Once will have minor assembly after finish, the other major. The one with minor assembly should be done soon. The other one by the end of July.

Sorry no more details.. these two are part of the SUPER SECRET batch of projects :)

Gail O'Rourke
06-24-2005, 7:44 AM
Martin,

ASWR plans on putting the Windsor on the 2006 schedule...so keep an eye out in the fall. Also, I just returned from there where I built my workbench. I am awaiting it's return here and will post a picture when I get it.

Oh, and I'd love to see pictures of what you all finish up.....and cross of your to do list.

Is there a gallery function on this forum to see what people have posted in the past?

Gail

Jeff Sudmeier
06-24-2005, 7:48 AM
Is there a gallery function on this forum to see what people have posted in the past?

Gail

Gail,

This forum does not currently have a gallery function, however, it may be a nice feature to add when the admins have free time (Joking here :) )

P.s. I promise to post pics on my SUPER SECRET projects as soon as I am released to do so :)

Mike Alagna
06-24-2005, 7:54 AM
Gail, I just finished the current project I am working on to be installed tomorrow. I finished at 2:00am and I leave for work at 6:20 (I hate those late nights). So now I have a list of projects I want for myself but nothing that is unfinished, unless unstarted is unfinished. I want to make a few shop jigs and a new storage cabinet for under my table saw extention table during my summer hiatus.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-24-2005, 8:02 AM
I have my wife's future end table's initial cuts done and they remain in the cabinet...waiting for me to have time to get the darn thing built. It's going to be Quilted Big Leaf Maple surrounded by Bloodwood and Walnut with a Walnut legset. I'm not even sure of the design since I rarely use plans to build anything.

Since we're moving out of Dallas in August, it might have to wait til the new shop gets set up.

The other project is not going to happen. I have 200+ LF of 1954 vintage Mahogany
2 1/2" crown molding I am about to liquidate. It was to go up in the house we're in, but it's on the market.

Not much of a list thankfully. It would take me more hours than two to finish either one. :D:D:D

Frank Pellow
06-24-2005, 8:20 AM
Gail
No there isn't, Gail. But the archives are quite extensive and the Search capability here is OK. Not Great, but OK.

Christian Aufreiter
06-24-2005, 8:42 AM
2. A toy box for my grandson (about 6 hours work remaining)

If I remember correctly, it was your grandson who "helped" you quite a lot during the building process of your shop. Maybe he doesn't really need a toy box but a tool box. :) :)

Regards,

Christian

Douglas Robinson
06-24-2005, 8:45 AM
1. A shop stool made from hard maple with hand-threaded post.

2. The last two drawers to the cabinet under my workbench. I have been avoiding this one since I may have made them to narrow to install the drawer slides. If I did that I know I will feel dumb, and I don't want to acknowledge that just yet. I will probably have to redesign them. :(

Frank Pellow
06-24-2005, 9:05 AM
If I remember correctly, it was your grandson who "helped" you quite a lot during the building process of your shop. Maybe he doesn't really need a toy box but a tool box. :) :)

Regards,

Christian
Right you are Christian! But, he does need both. A tool bench/box for Ethan is on my list of unstarted projects.

larry merlau
06-24-2005, 9:14 AM
i too had to go lok at the homepage to see where the hometown was felt kinda silly afterwards done better than that in history when i was in school :eek: welll to answer her question i have the last of 2 pieces of cabinets to make for the kitchen redo for mom. these are for the pretty dishes havnt cut any wood yet will do that this wknd and as fo rtime frame i willdo them as time allows if it rains theni get workon them if it doesnt i will other chores. my list of need to do's are still on th list not stsarted yet a ennntertainment center and a armoire fo rmy daughter that has been delayed due to space and her moving to another local,, so when things settle out she will get her piece so that is my schedule and its wrote down so idont forget :D

Jim Becker
06-24-2005, 9:23 AM
I always have at least one unfinished project in the shop and it seems to always be the same one...the six Nakashima Mira-style chairs that I started a couple years ago. I really need to get back to work on them, but always "forget" they are there after starting something else. Most of the spindle work is done...it's largely a matter of scooping and contouring the seats and doing the bent laminations for the top of the backs. Soon...did I happen to say, "soon"? ;)

Russ Massery
06-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Mine is a mirror that was project from woodmag in 1995.:rolleyes: I started it then,but never completed it. Since then built more projects then I can count. I've just started a kitchen redo found I need every inch of space I have, so in an afternoon finished it. I used it as a test for a new waterbased laquer I'm trying. Very happy with the results.:D

Mike Stanton
06-24-2005, 12:20 PM
First welcome to the creek Gail . Gail has been on onother fourm for guite a while. I have a covered bridge not done started again yesterday. Cleaning the shop is never done.I have the pipi to run for dust collection but it never gets done.Etc. mikie :D

lou sansone
06-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Reall only 1 personal project and 1 school related project

1. c.1780 tall case clock- almost done = that is for my wife

2. Woodshop course demo piece that is used to instruct my student. Mine will be done a few weeks before his is done. Miniature 18th century blanket chest with burl inlay
lou

John Lucas
06-26-2005, 11:32 PM
Hey Gail,perfect timing. I finished the only unfinished project late this afternoon. It gave me just enough time to do a total sweep and to put away one or two tools...you know how I am at leaving anything out. And now I have room to unpack that Timesaver wide belt sander...you can use it any time.

Chris Padilla
06-27-2005, 12:36 AM
My unfinished projects:

(1) My garage-ma-hal
(2) The entertainment center in the TV Room

Sigh....

Bill Fields
06-27-2005, 1:31 AM
Gayle:

Insightful question, but possibly disturbing to some (me).

My unfinished project is my shop. I spend a lot (most) of my time selecting and ordering tools--then slowly learning how to use them.

I have a lot of tools for a hobbyist--and limited knowledge--OK some--still learning.

Example: My Dc system is not installed--all the plumbing--wyes-tees-blast gates-seperater-are still sitting there--and not collecting dust.

TIME--our friend and enemy!

BILL FIELDS