PDA

View Full Version : Which PALS?

John Emwonk
04-12-2014, 2:29 PM
Hi

which PALS version do I need for my "New" craftsman 113?

I don't know which size my bolts are and want to make sure vs guess.

Also so how important are different pulleys? How do I know if mine are bad?

John Emwonk
04-19-2014, 3:23 PM
Wrong forum? Stupid question?

:)

thanks if you can help.

There re is a lot of good information here, but maybe this is too Noob.

Roger Feeley
04-19-2014, 5:37 PM
Forgive me John. I think the reason you are hearing crickets is that you didn't provide enough information. I'm going to take a wild guess that a Craftsman 113 is a table saw and you are referring to the PALS alignment system for aligning the trunnions.

Looking on the In-Line Industries website, it appears to me that the important consideration is the the thread form on the studs holding your trunnion in place. if it were me, I would loosen one of the trunnion nuts and see what the thread form is.

Since the 113 has been around a while, I would also make sure that your current studs can be removed before I get to involved.

Frederick Skelly
04-19-2014, 7:53 PM
Forgive me John. I think the reason you are hearing crickets is that you didn't provide enough information.

+1. I didnt know what a 113 or a PALS was. Now that I do, I find that I dont know the answer. But Im replying to assure you that folks here LIKE and WANT to help newbies, so please dont think your question is dumb. This is a great group of folks.

Good luck!
Fred

glenn bradley
04-19-2014, 9:07 PM
Craftsman 113. prefixed tools (http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?ID=222) are made by Emerson for Sears. You can make a very nice saw out of one. I had one (1970's saw) with PALs on it and am reasonably sure they are 3/8". You can slip one nut off the trunnion at the back of your saw to check without causing issues as these saws generally have 5 bolts. Speaking of which, I loosen the four corners and snug the front (5th) bolt to act as a pivot point when tuning in the alignment with the PALs.

Jerry Bruette
04-19-2014, 11:07 PM
You can tell if you're pulleys are worn by looking for a step on the side of the belt groove.

I think it's more important to put a Link belt on. It'll run smoother and quieter.

John Emwonk
04-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Thanks all for the help and the reassurance about my learning curve.

I did put on a link belt based on guidance in another thread and it did make a nice difference, after I installed it the right direction. After a few seconds it became clear I had it on back ways. No harm done. I caught it before it all disintegrated.