PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Gloat

Lee DeRaud
06-23-2005, 7:08 PM
Ok, this won't impress anyone with a 24" bandsaw and a Performax drum sander, but I thought it was pretty cool:
It's a miniature drum sander, with a capacity of 6" wide x 1 5/8" thick. That 6" number matches up nicely with my benchtop jointer and the resaw capacity of the Delta bandsaw I got last week. (Here's a review of it, to get an idea of what it can really do: http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/KrolSanderReview.html.) I did a quick test, started with a 1/8" thick (roughly resawn) piece of oak, had it down to about 0.04" before it got too hot out in the garage. And I need to diddle around with the dust collection: seems to work great, but the port doesn't match up in diameter with anything that my antique ShopVac can use, so I just had the hose duct-taped on.

The setup as provided is a bit odd: 3" wide 80-grit on one side, 3" 180-grit on the other...I'm guessing most of the buyers of this thing work to an even smaller scale than I do:p . Just for chuckles, I slapped in a 6"-wide piece of standard 80-grit (Norton 3X from HD)...works just fine, at least as well as the heavy-duty cloth-back stuff that came with it. I'll probably buy a couple rolls of cloth-back abrasive after I see how various grits do.

Best of all, it was free: I had shown my girlfriend this guy's website awhile back, when I decided to concentrate on smaller scale projects. Apparently it struck a chord, because she and my mom went in together on this for my birthday.:)

John Miliunas
06-24-2005, 12:00 AM
Well now, ain't that just the neatest little drum sander you ever seen?:D I think it's pretty cool and would be perfect, especially for those small jobs. Congrats...You've got a couple of nice ladies thinkin' of you over there!:) :cool:

John Hart
06-24-2005, 6:45 AM
That is really cool Lee. Most everything I do is under 6". I would find it very useful. The ladies have a nice quality...They listen and watch for your eyes to light up then do something to put a smile on your face.

Lee DeRaud
06-24-2005, 11:00 AM
The ladies have a nice quality...They listen and watch for your eyes to light up then do something to put a smile on your face.Yeah, they're both "keepers":cool: . I just wish my mom lived somewhere with a civilized climate.

Mike Weaver
06-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Lee,
Hey, who says size matters?

I think these tools look great and should serve you well.

Thanks for sharing.

-Mike

Mike Stanton
06-24-2005, 11:53 AM
:D Looking good. Congrat. Mike