PDA

View Full Version : Question about having letter outlines done by a laser

Stephen Musial
04-12-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm starting to engrave letters and was wondering if it's possible to have someone with a laser do the outline of the letters thereby saving me the time of doing the whole printing, tracing carbon paper on the board thing.

IF it's possible, how narrow of a line can be done and what sort of file would I need to provide - I have AutoCAD, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

Thanks,

Steve
Webster Groves, MO

George M. Perzel
04-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Hi Stephen;
Any relation to Stan?
How and what are you engraving?
Thinest line is about .005 inches. Illustrator, Coreldraw, dxf, svg- virtually any vector file is fine.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Stephen Musial
04-12-2014, 3:05 PM
Thanks for the info. It will mainly be small (12" x 8") plaques to be mounted to bookcases:

Ex Libris
EMJ

Simple things along those lines. Would any type of laser be able to do it, i.e. if I took it to a trophy shop or do I need to look for someone specialized here in St. Louis?

My grandfather's sister was Stan's Godmother and my grandfather was his first coach in the Polish Falcons in Donora. They lived 2 houses apart but I have to go back a few generations for the relationship - my g.grandfather and his father were cousins. Being from Pittsburgh, I didn't even know who he was until we moved to St. Louis. I had some autographed balls, pictures, a hat but was a Roberto Clemente fan. Now that Stan's gone and the Cardinals hired Jhonny Steroid, I'm back to being a Bucs fan. :rolleyes:

George M. Perzel
04-13-2014, 9:36 AM
Stephen;
Contact Mike Null-he's a moderator on SMC and has tons of experience and is in St. Louis.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Jerome Stanek
04-13-2014, 9:52 AM
When you say engrave letters are you hand engraving them. What material are you using.

Stephen Musial
04-13-2014, 6:27 PM
When you say engrave letters are you hand engraving them. What material are you using.

Yes, hand carving/engraving like this http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/video/letter-carving-basics.aspx I'll most likely be using cherry, walnut or ginkgo.

Jerome Stanek
04-13-2014, 7:22 PM
If you lived closer I could do it but I'm in OH

Bill George
04-13-2014, 8:17 PM
Yes, hand carving/engraving like this http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/video/letter-carving-basics.aspx I'll most likely be using cherry, walnut or ginkgo.

I JUST GOT A VIRUS WARNING FROM THE LINK ABOVE.... Now running a virus scan!!!
Nothing found thank you Malwarebytes for working.

Chuck Jarrett
04-15-2014, 10:51 PM
Maybe PM Mike Null, as he is in St.Louis I believe. He may be able to help you.

Mike Null
04-16-2014, 7:34 AM
I appreciate the referrals but I pretty much limit my business to commercial clients. Thanks.

Richard Rumancik
04-16-2014, 12:24 PM
. . . IF it's possible, how narrow of a line can be done and what sort of file would I need to provide - I have AutoCAD, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. . . .

It is definitely possible and a pretty easy/quick marking job for a laser - provided you supply a laser-ready file. I think you need to find your laser subcontractor first - then ask them what type of file will work best. Lots of files can be converted but it is best not to. The amount of engraving time is relatively small so you want to ensure the setup time does not add a lot of unnecessary labour to the job. It would be most economical for you if you had several to do at a time as everyone in this business needs to charge a minimum amount even if it is only a 10 minute job.

The line can be .003 or .004" if a 1.5" lens is used, should not be more than .005" for a 2" lens. That is if you mark them deep. You need to tell them if you just want a trace mark on the surface or if you want some depth. If it is just on the surface, they can scribe quite fast and the line will appear to be thinner. If you wanted some deep marks and some surface marking then you can use two colors and instruct them accordingly.

Jim Beachler
04-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Stephen, I am in the Ferguson area. 10 minutes from the airport, 2 miles from UMSL. PM me.

Stephen Musial
04-17-2014, 7:48 AM
Thanks Jim - I may contact you to have a set of stencils made but Rolf Randby gave me a great suggestion: to print them out in reverse with a laser printer on slick stock (mail label paper) and then transfer them right to the wood. That would save scads of time having to take the pieces of wood back and forth to the engraver's shop.