PDA

View Full Version : Removing Delta DC 33 cutterhead

Joe Bradshaw
04-12-2014, 10:04 AM
I recently bought a Delta Invicta 13" planer. It is the one made in Brazil. I have a Byrd shelix cutterhead that I am going to install in it. My problem at the moment is getting the old cutterhead out of the machine. The bearings are a press fit on the cutterhead and into the body of the machine. It looks as if I will have to remove the casting that holds the cutterhead to enable me to use a hydraulic press. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Joe

Thomas Hotchkin
04-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Joe
Didn't you post same question on OWWM? Here is the link that was posted there if you missed it. I think he used just a gear puller to remove the cutter head. It is about time I do the same my DC33. Tom

http://bullfire.net/Planer/Planer.html

David Kumm
04-12-2014, 12:14 PM
If I'm remembering correctly - not likely - I just tapped mine out with either a dowell or a piece of pvc pipe. They don't fit that tight into the casting. Need a puller and a light bulb to deal with the shaft fit. Dave

Joe Bradshaw
04-12-2014, 5:19 PM
Thomas, I looked at the link that you posted. My planer is not like that one. The cutter head bearing does not run in an oil bath. I have tried the hardwood with a hefty hammer and the cutter head does not bulge. From the operators position, the cutter head has to move to the right in order to pull the bearing. Then the hole works has to move to the left to remove the other bearing. I was trying to do this without destroying the old bearings. Such is life. Thanks for the help.
Joe

David Kumm
04-12-2014, 5:26 PM
You will be lucky to keep the bearings. I'd replace as they are cheap and once stuck they get bunged up internally when forced. Dave

Brian Gumpper
04-12-2014, 11:50 PM
Do you know the 22-xxx number? Looks like the 22-660 has a snap ring that fits in the bearing hole one the end you would want to tap. Is it possible that snap ring is there and you are pounding on that and not the bearing?

Joe Bradshaw
04-13-2014, 6:56 AM
Brian, I have pulled the snap rings from both ends of the shaft. Off to Harbor Freight today or tomorrow to get a hydraulic press. Thanks Joe