PDA

View Full Version : Cedar wall and ceiling finish ideas

Allen Grenz
04-12-2014, 12:13 AM
So this is kind of out of the norm of my normal projects and could use some advice.

I'm doing a complete renovation-addition room and installing a sunken hot tub in the room.. The bottom 36" of the walls are going to be tile and then T&G western red cedar up to and including the ceiling.. I was going to use BLO but I'm second guessing myself on that now.. Obviously this is a high humidity environment and was thinking maybe the cedar should stay unfinished and let it do its thing.. Any ideas for a finish or lack of finish? There is a lot of money wrapped up in this cedar.

Also there is going to be an 8mil barrier between the cedar and walls and I've got a big exhaust fan on a humidistat switch.. I'm using 15ga Stainless nails to blind nail it in if that makes a difference..

Thanks.

Al

Rich Engelhardt
04-12-2014, 6:59 AM
I don't have a lot to offer other than - don't use BLO.

It's going to stink for a long, long, long time.

If it helps any - the cedar in a sauna is never supposed to be finished. If/when it looks dingy or like it needs cleaned, you're supposed to sand it.

Pete Shermet
04-12-2014, 1:26 PM
287069287070287071I used Flecto Diamond Satin Water based finish and it has held up well and the colour of the wood is almost the same as if you wet it! so if you're curious take a damp cloth and wipe the raw cedar. That's what it will look like, I'll try and find pictures.