PDA

View Full Version : A gloat of a different kind

Andrew Fleck
04-11-2014, 7:51 PM
I'll apologize in advance for this gloat. It's not really my style, but I want to share this one.

During the last month or so my wife has been showing an unusual interest in my woodworking tools. Odd thinks I.

So last night I went into my shop to do a little work on a blanket chest I'm building. The chest is mostly assembled with only the trim around the lid left to do. I happened to glance down inside the chest and saw a long box with a bow and a card attached. Inside the box was a #7 that I have been wanting for a long time. Needless to say no work got done on the lid last night.

I later asked how she knew which one to get and she said that she did a bunch of research on "your woodworking site" so a big thanks goes out to all who post and especially my wife.

Sorry but no picture on this one as I prefer to keep a plane debate out of this thread. It's a #7 that does exactly what a #7 is supposed to do. Thanks for reading!

Brian Ashton
04-11-2014, 8:45 PM
Maybe your wife and mine are related somehow. Mine lurked on a couple forums I used to be on for a while and then went out and found me a Stanely 55 all on her own. She often goes to my lee valley account and looks at what's on the wish list.

Glenn Samuels
04-11-2014, 8:47 PM
Your wife sounds like an extraordinary lady. Sounds like she is keeping you. Almost like the old Geritol commercials.

Raymond Fries
04-11-2014, 8:47 PM
How nice!

What an awesome wife you have.

Enjoy your #7 always and enjoy life...

Joe Bailey
04-11-2014, 9:40 PM
Sorry, but I personally do not find this post credible.

Shannon Brantley
04-11-2014, 9:55 PM
This thread gives me hope.

Joe Tilson
04-11-2014, 9:56 PM
My wife goes with me to rust hunts. She actually has a better eye than I do. she has brought home planes, chisels, bits, and all kinds of knobs,and other hardware. Andrew, You've got a very nice wife. Welcome to the creek to both of you.

Sean Hughto
04-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Andrew, you shouldn't worry about what anyone else says about your tools. You need to like them and you need to like using them to make good stuff. I love to know what you got. But suit yourself.

Even if we don't get to know he details o the plane, one thing is certain, you have a great wife.

Dave Beauchesne
04-12-2014, 12:49 AM
Andrew - Gloatworthy by any standard!

My SWMBO has never questioned what I have spent on tools, wood, etc., so I have it pretty darn good as well.

Dave B

Harold Burrell
04-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Needless to say no work got done on the lid last night.

See how you are? Your wife goes out of her way and buys you a nice tool so you can more easily and efficiently do your woodworking projects and how do you thank her? You take the night off.

You should be ashamed.

;)

Andrew Fleck
04-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Thank you all for the kind words. I've passed them along to my wife!

Andrew Fleck
04-12-2014, 11:57 PM
Sean, it's not that I care at all what somebody thinks of any of my tools. I just didn't want this thread to morph into a plane debate like I have seen so many others, but since you are interested here is a picture of it next to my 5 1/2 which has now been retired from jointing for the most part. I'm going to have to make my wife something really nice now.