PDA

View Full Version : Which one first - a jointer or a planer?

Matt King
06-23-2005, 5:32 PM
I've read and pondered and studied and thought..... I still don't have the 'right' answer!

Let's say I can spend between 500 and 700 bucks - should I get a Grizzly 8" jointer or get a Ridgid 6" jointer and planer or get a 'nice' (Dewalt/Delta 3 blade) lunchbox planer with accessories or put the money towards a 15" 'real' cabinet style planer... ~sigh~ DECISIONS, DECISIONS! :confused:

Any input is MOST appreciated! :)

Take care,

Matt

Chris Padilla
06-23-2005, 5:58 PM
Matt,

Having same bed-sized jointer and planer is always really very nice but the jointer of the size of a planer always costs 2-3x more than the planer. That is why, I think, you see a lot more people with a planer first...you can get a decently wide one for a decent cost. Also, planers tend to take up less room than a jointer. Planers are easier to use than a jointer...it doesn't take much skill to jam a piece of wood into a planer! :)

With some thought, you can use a planer much like a jointer! I would go with a nice planer first and save up for a jointer later if you feel you need one still. I went a long time without a jointer and just a planer.

In the end, it depends on your needs and what you plan to do.

Jim W. White
06-23-2005, 6:02 PM
Matt,

You're likely to get as many different answers as there will be replies for this question. :rolleyes: It really comes down to your immediate needs and your long term objectives.

First the obvious factors which always factor into these decisions:

a.) you usually DO get what you pay for.
b.) if you stay in any hobby long enough your going to want to upgrade your existing equipment. The more elementary your starting equipment base is; the quicker this upgrade will be necessary to facilitate bigger and larger scale projects.

Having said all this, if your goal is getting into woodworking as a hobbiest and you don't plan on turning professional anytime soon than I would argue that a 6" jointer and a lunchbox planer can take you pretty far down the road and easily fit into your current budget.

I have a lunchbox planer (Delta 12.5"). Would I like a 15" stationary machine?! You bet!! ...but I'm getting along fine without one.

I have a 6" Ridgid jointer. Do I wish it was an 8" with a longer infeed/outfeed table?! Absolutely!! ...but I'm getting along fine with the jointer I have.

The fact of the matter is that these two tools are both very enabling. As soon as you have both of them; you'll ask yourself why you didn't buy them sooner. **The pair allow you to process the wood to fit the project and not change the project to fit the wood.** They will also advance the professional fit and finish of your work immensely. My opinion is your budget can get you going NOW with very little compromise. If I were spending the money (I love spending other people's money :D ) I would get a refurbed Dewalt 735 planer from Amazon and the 6" jointer from Ridgid and start making some serious saw dust; BUT I am confident others will tell you to purchase differently and ALL the input will be valuable and equally valid depending ON YOUR NEEDS.

Have fun!

Jim in Idaho

James Mudler
06-23-2005, 6:36 PM
Matt,

Having said all this, if your goal is getting into woodworking as a hobbiest and you don't plan on turning professional anytime soon than I would argue that a 6" jointer and a lunchbox planer can take you pretty far down the road and easily fit into your current budget.

Totally agree, and if you are doing cabinets and small furniture projects 6" jointer will be fine. Now for table tops and large panels 8" jointer is really needed.

Jeff Fritzson
06-23-2005, 6:53 PM
The 'right answer' is really the one that is right for you. I can only tell you how I have been going about it. I am now back into this hobby after being away for 25 years or so. I forgot how much I do enjoy it.

I was not sure if I would take to it again but that was kind of stupid on my part. The planer I have is the Delta 22-580 that I got for a great price ($239 brand new). This was just in the last 4 months so I was glad I got the price many people did last year during a clearance. This planer has been great. I am now looking at an 8" jointer.

Everyone I have spoken with has said save up and get the 8" jointer over the 6" jointer. For me that seems to be the right decision.

With 5-7 hundred to spend, you already laid out your choices nicely. 1 - 15" planer (almost), 1 - 8" jointer or 2 smaller machines. Only one other choice that you haven't mentioned is looking for good used machines. It takes more time and patience but sometimes you can help some one out while helping yourself as well.

Just another voice to add to the ones already in your head. I know you have them because I go through this everytime I need (really want) another machine.

Enjoy the decision process and be happy with what you choose.

Regards,
Jeff

Ken Weaver
06-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Jeff has a good point, a lot depends on what you want to do. As a hobbiest, I have both the Ridgid 6" jointer and the 13" planer. Have always been able to do the projects I've worked on. They are excellent machines at good prices. On the other hand, were I trying to become a fulltime production shop, I might rethink it.

Dev Emch
06-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Matt...

The jointer is a boring machine. It joints flat faces. Whooopppiieee!

But having said that, it is also one of the more important machines. Jointers produce accuracy! And this accuracy follows through your entire project. You will find that many other operations just go much easier when you have jointed your stock in the beginning.

Second, planers are "flawed" machines. They copy the bottom surface onto the top surface. So if the bottom surface is jointed, the output is dead flat and parallel. If not, your have a potatoe chip on your hands! So a planer is really nice *IF* your stock is already jointed on your reference face and reference edge.

So I would say that your choice should be the jointer first and you should get as large a jointer as you can afford! Cleary, many who are just starting out will have to buy a stick jointer. But if you can upgrade from say a 6 inch to an 8 inch jointer from the get go, DO IT.

Best of Luck...

Dale Thompson
06-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Matt,
As a hobbiest with a PM 66 and a WW II blade, I haven't used my jointer/planer in a LONG time. What's the advantage? :confused: In fact, I've been looking at it recently as an occupier of space that I could use for other tools. :D If your projects are in the area of a hobby, I would suggest that your money would be much better spent on a thickness planer than on a jointer. I've got the 12" Ryobi unit which is fine but I really drool over the newer DeWalt unit and the 2-speed Delta machine. :cool: ;)

As soon as I pay off the milk bill for my babies, I may give them a second look! :)

Dale T.

Ray Bersch
06-24-2005, 5:56 AM
Matt,

As everyone has said, it depends on what you want to do. But I have gone through the same thing as you over the past few months. My use will be strickly hobby and I was unsure of which machines would meet my needs so I shopped the used market extensively. I have acquired a 6" jointer and a 12" bread box planner that I am absolutely pleased with and at far less of an investment than I expected. Actually, money was not the real issue, rather I felt I should not go out and buy top of the line new stuff until I knew more about the machines and how they fit into my hobby. I am confident that I will gain more skills with these machines and if I determine that I need more of a machine, I can sell these for what I paid or very little less.

The most important thing to me was the experience I gained just through the shopping process - I know exactly what the machines can do and what benefits I gave up - time will tell which of those added benefits (features) I will want in the future.

Oh, by the way, to answer your question, I felt both were necessary.

Good luck.

Ray

scott spencer
06-24-2005, 6:25 AM
There's always valid argument on both sides of this discussion. I'd pick planer first, b/c there are tricks to flattening a board with the planer. It's difficult to get both faces parallel if you plane to final thickness on a jointer.

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-24-2005, 6:41 AM
I'd go for a good 6" jointer, and a good lunchbox planer. I've had a reconditioned DeWalt planer for several years, and I use it pretty hard. I'd like to have a 12" jointer, but realistically, the 6" JET does what I need it to do 98% of the time...and when I really NEED a longer bed, or a bit more width, I know where's there's one I can 'borrow'.

Eventually, I'll buy an 8 or 12" for myself, and probably the 20" Grizzly planer...but I'll do so because I 'want to', not because I 'need to'.

KC

John Dingman
06-24-2005, 12:03 PM
I've read and pondered and studied and thought..... I still don't have the 'right' answer!

Let's say I can spend between 500 and 700 bucks - should I get a Grizzly 8" jointer or get a Ridgid 6" jointer and planer or get a 'nice' (Dewalt/Delta 3 blade) lunchbox planer with accessories or put the money towards a 15" 'real' cabinet style planer... ~sigh~ DECISIONS, DECISIONS! :confused:

Any input is MOST appreciated! :)

Take care,

MattMatt,

I had to make the same decision on a slightly smaller budget and I went with a used Delta 6" Jointer, and a Ridgid 13" planer. Both served me well for a couple of years. I have recently sold the Delta Jointer and upgraded to the Grizzly 8". The planer will be upgraded in a couple of years or so. The Ridgid is a very nice planer for the money, it has done everything I have needed to do with it.

hth,
John

Matt King
07-24-2005, 1:51 PM
Hey y'all - sorry for not responding to all of these very good points before now.

I just now went to Amazon to order the refurb Dewalt 735 and THEY'RE OUT OF THEM!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: So much for that idea!

Well, I still need a planer (and I can sneak a jointer in also - I'll get to that in a sec;) ) so what's the news on the 22-580? I've heard several people say that they like them, but also heard about some feeding problems. How about the Ridgid TP1300LS? I think the $50 Amazon promo is still valid, so that's a plus to the Delta, along with the 2 speeds. The Ridgid does have the Lifetime Warranty thing going for it. Any other suggestions at the mid $300 price point?

Now, to the jointer. I've decided that I'll go ahead and get a 6" jointer and lunchbox planer for now, while my shop is in the garage. Once I get my workshop building up and going (half machine shop/half woodworking) then I'll seriously persue at 15-20" stationary planer and at least an 8" jointer, if not an old 12-16" workhorse. All that being said, where do I spend the $400 on a jointer? The Craftsman "Professional" 21706, the Ridgid JP0610, or the Delta JT-360 on Amazon? Again, any other suggestions at the mid $300 price point?

The Craftsman seems pretty well made from looking at it in the store, and is an enclosed design, the Ridgid has the "Lifetime Warranty" deal going, and the Delta has the $50 Amazon promo, so there's positives all the way around.

What say you, oh learned ones? I'll hopefully be ordering/picking up both of these tools by the end of the week!

Thanks, y'all,

Matt

Matt King
07-24-2005, 1:53 PM
Ooopsie - disregard the Shopmaster from Amazon... It's a marketplace vendor selling it, and I'm just not coming off $120 to ship the thing! That narrows it to the Craftsman and Ridgid, I guess, since the shipping dings the Sunhill as well. That is, unless y'all have some other alternatives in that mid $300 price area.

I guess it's pretty obvious where my budget has ended up, eh? :rolleyes:

Alrighty, back to y'all! :)

Thanks again,

Matt

scott spencer
07-24-2005, 8:41 PM
Those two machines work so well in tandem that I'd encourage to get both even if it means living with a 6" jointer for a while.....I've been managing fine with one for 4 years. $700 will buy you a decent planer with a cutterhead lock and a good 6" jointer.

No doubt an 8" jointer is nice, but not if it means no planer. When you get a board wider than 8" you can always put it on a planer sled to flatten a face.

Mike Cutler
07-24-2005, 9:21 PM
Matt. Dev has it right. The jointer is the beginning, so to speak, of any project. You can get by without one, there is no doubt, but a good one makes all subsequent steps easier to perform.
I have a 6" jointer and a 15" planer. I find the 6" jointer to be very limiting. I have been doing a lot of large work the last year or so and a 12" jointer would have been perfect, and would have made things go a lot quicker. The jointer is the next machine on my list to upgrade.
Look for used machinery, there is always someone looking to upgrade or create more space.
Good luck looking. Remember it probaby doesn't matter which one you buy first, it will be the other one you didn't buy that you'll need first ;)

Les Spencer
07-24-2005, 10:12 PM
As you have read from several of the posts, others have bought a 6" jointer and a 12" planer and then upgraded. I would think there are good used tools available. If you think you'll be wanting to upgrade in the near future, I would look to go the used route. I upgraded and sold my old tools at a considerable loss. This time of the year seems to be a good time to find reasonable/good used tools.

As far as which to buy first, Per Swenson posted a link to an article in FW on the Festool Owners Group forum which you might find interesting. It is jig that you can use on the planer to flatten lumber before planing parallel.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/wvt095.asp

Mike Parzych
07-25-2005, 10:08 AM
I started with 6" Rigid jointer and 13" planer and am really happy I got BOTH to start with. It's much easier to start doing good work, and I think that's a big factor in making it an enjoyable hobby/job. Although it's new to the major tool market, Rigid's tools are rated near or at the top of their price range, and would have good resale value when you decide to upgrade.

Keith Hooks
07-25-2005, 1:30 PM
I think you need both, even if you have to get smaller versions of each for now. A 6" jointer and 12-13" planar will increase the capabilities of your shop a great deal. You'll be able to accomplish a lot more by having both tools together than you would on either tool seperately. There's something to be said for "The whole being great than the two halves."

Unless you're already proficient with hand planing, both tools used together will enable you to use rough sawn lumber in your projects. Both tools are useful to have, but you'll get 5X the capability from having both than for just settling on one. That's my opinion, from a hobbiest.

Tim Sproul
07-25-2005, 4:18 PM
I have no power jointer. I have a power thicknesser.

I've hand milled lumber 4-square.

Given your budget, get yerself a decent used 15 inch stationary thickness planer. Hand face and edge jointing is done without too much work and the learning curve is doable for most folks.

Hand thicknessing can be an incredible amount of work and it rarely will result in boards that are uniformly thick from board to board and can then make machine cut joinery difficult, if not impossible....barring reinforced butt joints.

If you're one to hand cut all your joinery, uniformly dimensioned lumber isn't an issue. If you like machine cut joinery, you want a thickness planer before a power jointer.

As others have alluded, you still need to come up with a method for face and edge jointing......but those can more easily be accomplished without a power jointer than can thicknessing be accomplished without a power thicknesser.

Jim Becker
07-25-2005, 5:42 PM
I would never want to be without both, but for most folks who have to buy "one" at first, I'd suggest the planer. If you take care in choosing your lumber, you can work with relatively flat material that is the same thickness (the purpose of the planer) and deal with straightening edges and making them perpendicular to the faces using other methods. That said, I'm a die-hard jointer user...it's the only tool that can truly make a board flat and without a flat board, you'll never have an edge that it truly perpendicular. (Assuming all electron-based machining here, folks...)

Matt King
07-25-2005, 7:31 PM
I think I've made my decision. I'll pick up one of the Ridgid 6" jointers (looks better than the Craftsman, at least comparing floor model to floor model, a dubious venture at best,) and either the Delta 2 speed planer or the Ridgid planer.

Seem like good decisons?

Realistically, the larger tools that I mentioned before are 2-3 years away, and I'm sure I can still use these once I get larger machines or at least find somebody around here that can put them to good use!

Thanks, y'all... I'll post pictures of what I end up with in the next several days, and try to give 'hands on' impressions from a newbie, for whatever that's worth!:)

Later,

Matt

Andrew Ault
07-25-2005, 8:00 PM
I happen to have a Delta 2-speed planer. I really like it. It feeds well and cuts very smoothly. There is little difference in the surface quality of wood cut on either speed (60 or 96 cuts per inch, I think). I like the little device that indicates that the surface of the stock being surfaced is even with the blade height. Warning! It produces CHIPS. Many, many chips. Right now I simply point it out to a clear area of floor, but getting this tool hooked to a dust collector is a priority.

I do not have the Ridgid jointer. It certainly seems like a good value and a capable tool. I have a not so great HF 6" jointer that works adequately with some effort. I would not recommend it to a friend. I broke my rule about buying cheap tools...a lesson in the soundness of the rule. When possible, I plan to upgrade to an 8" jointer, probably the Yorkcraft or a good quality used tool.

Having these two tools has greatly increased my ability to make good quality furniture and has added to the pleasure of woodworking for me. In particular, the Delta planer tickles me pink every time I use it. :p I love the ease of getting boards to the same thickness so efficiently. I glued up the top and some other parts of a Mission style night table this weekend and the thickness planer was just great. Note that the jointer was central to this operation as well, but using it reminds me that sometimes I do stupid things.:(

By the way, don't you love when Norm casually runs assemblies through his Timesaver belt sander?

-Andy

Matt King
07-25-2005, 8:41 PM
:D :D I think I managed to get the last Delta 735 Refurb that Amazon had! I happened to check it again this evening and they had a couple left, so I ordered it as quickly as I could, then called the customer service department to see about getting the $50 promotional applied to it, you know, the one that was supposed to go through October 2nd, but has mysteriously disappeared from the website......... we'll see how that turns out in the end, I guess!

See y'all later,

Matt

Michael Pfau
07-25-2005, 9:05 PM
Matt, if you get into serious woodworking, you will find that a planer and jointer marry up quite well. I could not imagine not having one without the other. I started out with a 6 inch Delta jointer, and Delta 12 planer. Made ALOT of furniture. Then upgraded to the Delta 8 inch jointer, and love it, also to the 13 inch planer. I am very satisfied with this combo, When making table tops a guy really does not want to go over 8 inch per board, because of cupping and warp. 6 inch is really about as wide as you want to go. The nice thing about the 8 inch jointer is the long tables on it. I can joint boards 6 feet long and 8 inch wide...that is really a time saver to me. Remember that the jointer is probably the most important machine when it comes to milling in the shop. Very accurate when set up right. Flat stock will show in the end result. I hope I helped you!