PDA

View Full Version : looking for a ball bearing slide for face frame cabs that does not require a plate

andy photenas
04-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Hello im having a hard time finding a ballbearing drawer slide that can mount right to the faceframe. The only ones i can find so far are in need of a plate that looks terrible ands costs extra money on a slide that seems expensive for what is is. All of the roller slides i have used just screw on the faceframe no "stuff" in the way just a hole and it goes right into the faceframe. I like this because often my faceframe is not exactly the same for a build out strip in each cab causing me to fit every one and thts adding a bit too much work i would like to avoid.
Any good ideas fellow woodworkers?

Mark Wooden
04-12-2014, 12:52 PM
Can't you use the ones you've used in the past?
Most drawer glides I use will attach to the FF opening but will need a socket that screws to the cab back to hold the back of the glide. I usually make the inside of the cab flush or inside of the FF when ever I can so I have easy mounting. Other than that it's add blocking where the glides are.

Jerry Miner
04-12-2014, 1:26 PM
Most slides will mount to the face frame. Most also offer a mounting clip for the back end. KV 8400 is one example. It mounts essentially the same as a "roller slide" (by which I think you mean an epoxy-coated 3/4 extension slide, like a Blum 230)

I try to design my cabinets so there is a solid panel flush to the faceframe where the drawers go. Otherwise, I add a filler.

andy photenas
04-15-2014, 10:22 AM
hmm ty guys. im gona need to look at my supplier again i have finally learned my lesson and that DONT EVER EVER EVER BY ANYTHING FROM ROCKLER. this is the worst company i have had to deal with over and over there products are more expensive to use the to not use and they charge a lot to ship i cant say enough bad things about the dealings i have had with them. ofc this is the highest rated slide they sell for nearly $20 each not including the mounting hardware thts another$10 for front and back cus ofc this needs one for the front too.

Joe O'Connor
04-15-2014, 11:31 AM
I've been ordering from ah turf.com with great results. Lower price and bigger selection, quick all be it somewhat expensive shipping.

Peter Quinn
04-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Build the cabs accurately and consistently so you can block out for drawer slides with some common thickness material, like 1/4" ply or 1/2" ply. The sides don't come out randomly versus the frames, they go where you put them, so put them Where you need them to make life easy. I used some kv ball bearing slides on an island retrofit for a client, had to use metal clips that attach to FF back, remember thinking they looked like hell on instal, but once the pretty maple drawer boxes go in you can't see them and nobody is looking anyway.