PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Residence (Pics)

Richard Wolf
06-23-2005, 4:22 PM
Another stair job finished in Southampton, NY. This look, box newels and square balusters, if very popular in the Hamptons, they all start looking the same.

Richard

Kelly C. Hanna
06-23-2005, 4:55 PM
Looks great...is that Hickory?

Christian Aufreiter
06-23-2005, 5:46 PM
Impressive work, thanks for sharing.
I'd love to see pics of the building process (in the shop and on-site).

Regards,

Christian

RichMagnone
06-23-2005, 6:35 PM
Awsome - what is the tread material?

Richard Wolf
06-23-2005, 6:49 PM
Looks great...is that Hickory?

I think you are looking at the stringers, they look like hickory but are poplar, to be painted.

The treads and flooring are cypress, stained ebony, a little strange looking and I'm sure the maid will spend a good part of every day cleaning the floors.

Box newels are maple, to be painted, balusters are poplar, to be painted and the rails are oak.

Some of these houses are just amazing to work in. Very big and incredibly expensive.

Richard

Todd Davidson
06-23-2005, 7:09 PM
Beautiful job on the balustrade Richard. Don't see too many with square balusters around here. I like 'em.

Ray Bersch
06-23-2005, 7:24 PM
Richard, Great job - I, too, like the square balusters and have used them for years in new homes that have built - always get comments.

Ray

mike malone
06-23-2005, 7:52 PM
Another stair job finished in Southampton, NY. This look, box newels and square balusters, if very popular in the Hamptons, they all start looking the same.Richard

Beautiful stuff Rich
mike

John Shuk
06-23-2005, 8:57 PM
Nice work. It reminds me of alot of the staircases we see in my area in the 1940's houses.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Great work Richard!

Jim Andrew
06-24-2005, 12:21 AM
I like the box newels, it is interesting how you finish your risers on the wall, I always had to put a board on the wall and 45 all the risers to the one board, and make it fit top and bottom. Your way looks much simpler and quicker. Jim

Richard Wolf
06-24-2005, 8:02 AM
I like the box newels, it is interesting how you finish your risers on the wall, I always had to put a board on the wall and 45 all the risers to the one board, and make it fit top and bottom. Your way looks much simpler and quicker. Jim

This staircase was designed by the architect and is rather different than the norm. The top flight has two steel strongbacks under it to help support what would be a very weak situation if they where built only of wood.

Richard

Mike Deschler
06-24-2005, 1:24 PM
Great work as usual Richard, I wish I could be a helper of yours to learn your many secrets. I have a bunch of questions, please check your P.M's.

Mike Alagna
06-24-2005, 4:32 PM
Nice work, I love seeing the natural wood state of construction before everything is finished. The Hamptons should keep you busy out there. Thanks for sharing.