PDA

View Full Version : 4" or 6" ducting for HF based cyclone.

Andy Howard
06-23-2005, 4:13 PM
I have the HF 2HP dust collector that is now being converted in to a cyclone. I am using a cyclone body that I got off of ebay and a filter from wynn environmental.

The cyclone has a 6" inlet, and a 7" outlet. I already modified the HF blower to use the 7" outlet, and it pulls 12.5 amps with nothing attached (no ducts, no cyclone, no filter).

Was wondering if you guys thought the HF blower would have enough power to run 6" ducts, or if I should stay with the 4"?

I am going to be using the Sewer and Drain PVC pipe, just cant decide what size to go with.

Correct me if I am wrong, but arent the volume and velocity inversely proportional?

If I go to a 6" pipe I am worried that the velocity will drop too much for the flow of my blower? Anyone have a HF motor with 6" pipe? I did some searching and some said it would be ok with a filter, but made no mention of a cyclone on it.

Thanks
Andy

Jeff Sudmeier
06-23-2005, 4:20 PM
Andy, From what I have read, other users have converted the HF DC to 6 inch ducts with great sucess. YMMV.

James Mudler
06-23-2005, 6:33 PM
I would go 6" and if you do not have enough power, slap on a bigger motor and sell your old collector. I use a Grizz 2hp motor on a cyclone with 6" piping with filters and very happy..........until I add more machines.