PDA

View Full Version : It May Be a Scorcher Of a Summer

Alan Gan
04-10-2014, 4:58 PM
This past winter has been weird all over the country. Even for us here in the Desert it was extremly mild. To be at almost 100º already is a little scary... This is in the shade on my Patio.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k66/photolinks/WoodWorking/Pantry%20Cabinets/Picture187_zpsfd4ed7aa.jpg

Larry Browning
04-10-2014, 5:49 PM
Exactly where are you located? The desert is a big place.

Brian Elfert
04-10-2014, 6:04 PM
Here in Minnesota we have been having very hot summers and very cold/snowy winters for the last two years. The Minneapolis school district closed school for two days due to heat in late August and they also closed school for five or six days this winter due to extreme cold or snow.

The Minnesota State Fair saw their attendance decline by at least 200,000 over the first seven or so days due to heat. They made up a lot of the attendance when the weather cooled off, but not all of it.

George Bokros
04-10-2014, 6:07 PM
The weather all over the US has gone to extremes. Maybe it is the fore-bearer of things to come.

Pat Barry
04-10-2014, 7:40 PM
For us here in Minny I think we are hoping for a long summer (but not record breaking heat). 100+ in April sounds a bit xtreme for sure..

Chris Padilla
04-10-2014, 7:49 PM
Here is the SF Bay Area, we've had an extremely dry winter but it was colder than usual. I'm not sure what to expect from summer. Wetter and hotter than usual?! hahaha

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-10-2014, 7:50 PM
Give us a clue Alan ... is "the Desert" located in the United States? I can think of a lot of deserts around the world... Sahara, Gobi, Arabian, Australia, Chile, Mojave, Namibia ....

Steve Wurster
04-10-2014, 8:03 PM
I'd wager that Alan is in the U.S., only because he referred to the temperature as 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Fahrenheit is only used in a few countries, and I'm pretty sure the others don't have a desert.

Wade Lippman
04-10-2014, 8:22 PM
All I know is that my son's crew team hasn't been able to practice yet because everything is still frozen. He considered going to school in Maine; I don't suppose they will have open water before summer.

Bruce Page
04-10-2014, 8:24 PM
The summers have been getting warmer here too. I'm having a 4 ton, 16 SEER refrigerated air unit installed next week. We have always used evaporative coolers, it will be sweet having refrigerated air.

Rich Enders
04-10-2014, 9:47 PM
The Saguaro cactus pictured on the thermometer is only native the the US SW, and Central Mexico. Probably the Sonoran desert. Starting Sunday AZ recorded above normal highs of about 90-95F, but that is not so unusual. For the 5 months from May 15 to October 15 the high will be over 100F every day.

Alan Gan
04-10-2014, 11:17 PM
Exactly where are you located? The desert is a big place.Larry, I am In Tucson AZ

Give us a clue Alan ... is "the Desert" located in the United States? I can think of a lot of deserts around the world... Sahara, Gobi, Arabian, Australia, Chile, Mojave, Namibia .... Hey Mike, See above post ;)

I'd wager that Alan is in the U.S., only because he referred to the temperature as 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Fahrenheit is only used in a few countries, and I'm pretty sure the others don't have a desert.:confused: There are no other Deserts? Lol

The summers have been getting warmer here too. I'm having a 4 ton, 16 SEER refrigerated air unit installed next week. We have always used evaporative coolers, it will be sweet having refrigerated air.Bruce, I envy you on the AC unit, been in this house for 30 years and still have a Swamp Cooler. Every year has been the last year. You are going to be living right this summer

For the 5 months from May 15 to October 15 the high will be over 100F every day.Hi neighbor, that is true in the Phoenix are, 105* at midnight in July, down here our nights are the best in the state at 85*, just to much concrete in Phoenix. I worked in Yuma for awhile, buurrrrr....

Here to get to the nearest lake is a hours drive and more to get to the larger lakes. I grew up in the Midwest and snow was a part of life, I miss the other things that come with the cold weather places like Lakes, Reservoirs and Rivers. But 65* in December is not to bad, plus.... the hotter it gets the less clothes are worn and that can be a good thing.

Greg Peterson
04-11-2014, 12:35 AM
It appears that we are likely in for a very strong El Nino. There is a extremely larger Kelvin wave (http://robertscribbler.wordpress.com/) developing in the south Pacific.

The weather just keeps getting more and more interesting. Winter I can handle, but summer is just down right mean.

Myk Rian
04-11-2014, 7:46 AM
Although things are warming up here, we'll be in Phoenix this coming Tuesday. Taking a coach tour to the canyons, ending up in Vegas.
I'll welcome the warm temps.

Apparently there is another El Nino building up in the Pacific, which will give us another protracted warm summer, all the way to October.

ray hampton
04-11-2014, 3:58 PM
[QUOTE=Myk Rian;2253017] Taking a coach tour to the canyons, ending up in Vegas.

I hope that you mean stage coach because you do deserve it