PDA

View Full Version : American Chestnut Vase - Thanks Sparky!!

Tim Rinehart
04-10-2014, 4:20 PM
Well, I never said I was fast at turning a piece of wood someone generously offers...but I do make a conscious effort, as I think that's part of what someone hopes for when gifting wood to another turner. :)
So this piece goes back to November of 2012 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?194260-American-Chestnut-gloat-and-offer&highlight=chestnut when Sparky offered these pieces, and I was lucky enough to get in line for one. I actually roughed the outside of this piece about a year ago, then wrapped it and set aside 'to be continued'. Well, I continued about a month ago and just got around to final sanding/finish this past week. It's definitely special to me, and will stay in my personal collection. It's like the grain tells a story with the natural variation in color. Thanks again Sparky!
9" tall and 5" across, finished with a single coat of antique oil, and hand buffed. C&C welcome and appreciated.

jwjerry w kowalski
04-10-2014, 4:38 PM
Tim, good looking vase, very elegant and well formed and interesting and pleasing wood grain.

Tony Pridmore
04-10-2014, 8:58 PM
Hey Tim,

You did that beautiful wood justice. Very nice shape and finish.

-Tony

Thomas Canfield
04-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Well done. The form and grain go well together. Hard to come by wood that nice.

charlie knighton
04-11-2014, 8:50 AM
very nice.....wood is not avalaible.....good form......good place in your private collection......at one time I had a 12' x 8" x 8" piece of chestnut that I traded for in southwest Virginia.....I moved from sw va to Winston-Salem to boone to Miami- then to home over a period of years 70's to 80's.....I then gave it to my uncle for a mantle where it still resides.....I had it on cinder blocks in my living room as furniture.....needless to say at that point I was single and not a woodturner .......I like the form and 9" deep is difficult

Jak Kelly
04-11-2014, 9:50 AM
Very nice, the wood grain follows the shape of that piece VERY well! I don't think it could have looked any better.

neil mackay
04-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Tim I like everything about this one the form especially, the colour and grain are superb.

Gus Dundon
04-15-2014, 2:46 PM
I like the grain on the wood. Nicely turned. There was a lot of sanding involved. Very well done.

Scott Haddix
04-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Think I am going to add these pictures to my 'Inspiration' image library. Very nice.

Sparky Paessler
04-16-2014, 3:16 PM
Looks Great Tim! You are welcome!

Tim Rinehart
04-16-2014, 9:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the positive response. Special thanks again Sparky!