PDA

View Full Version : RotoZip, RotoZip, What for art thou, RotoZip

Bob Borzelleri
06-23-2005, 2:09 PM
I own a RotoZip. I must confess to having used it more than several times. Yet, despite my generally decent relationship with said RotoZip, the tool seems to rise to the top of every "What was your most useless tool purchase?" poll I have seen.

I started to open this up by lamenting, "I just don't understand...", but I actually think I do understand why the RZ (not the Yamaha) gets no respect. It came to me as I was cutting another one of those 110V receptacle holes with my Fein Multimaster. The first 20 or so holes were cut (perhaps sculpted is a better word) with the RZ and while they went generally OK, I did start out with a few not entirely rectangular holes. The more I did, the better they looked (OK, not an overwhelming realization, I'd agree), but cutting straight lines still required a steady hand and more than a little attention to the task at hand. The Fein, on the other hand pretty much dares you to try to get off line (it can be done, but not without considerable warning before straying).

Now, I'm not suggesting that everyone who appears disappointed with their RZ is also a closet Fein user, but it just might be that wandering cuts take just enough away from a limited supply of self pride to account for the position of prominence at the top of the "bad investment" polls.

As for me, I have begun to use the RZ and the Fein in a tag team kind of approach. Between the two of them, I'm a cutt'n and trimm'n fool.

What do folks use the RZ for that leaves you feeling that it was money well spent?

...Bob

Jeff Sudmeier
06-23-2005, 2:17 PM
Bob,

In a word Drywall. I admit I haven't used anything else, but I can cut out all of the boxes and windows in a sheet, before the guy screwing can catch up. Most of the time I end up picking up a gun and helping screw. Sure there are a few times that I cut a bad hole, but that is normally user error.

I don't know that I have EVER used it woodworking.

Bart Leetch
06-23-2005, 5:44 PM
I was given a used one & will replace it when it is worn out.

You can buy a shaft that you can mount a carborundom blade about 2' - 3' across (2 different sizes) with it you can cut off bolts. Right now I am slotting the ends of some pipe to slide in some 1/4" by about 1 1 /2" iron into & weld it in.

Well I would have posted a pic of the slotted pipe but the pic posting system isn't working. :eek:

Charlie Knauer
06-23-2005, 6:05 PM
Bob, I used a rotozip once and it was not pleasent. I do a lot of volunteer work at a scout camp and usually just bring the tools I will need for the day. About 4 years ago I finished up my project for the day and was asked to install a receptacle for a cooler. Not a problem I got what I need except for a jig saw. I had my sawzall but find it clumsy to do finished work. My buddy brought out his rotozip and away we go. The wall was made of plywood with a thick MDF laminated to it. The rotozip started a small fire and caught the paper of the insulation. No damage we were able to douse it but never again.

Charlie

Paul Berendsohn
06-23-2005, 7:46 PM
With all due respect, I suspect Charlie that your problem may have been one or more of the following:

Worn out bit (because of the high revs I've seen the same problem with mine, and the bits seem to dull suddenly, with little prior warning)

Wrong bit (they seem very specific as to what bit does which job well)

Speed wrong ( I've found the speed / bit combo is rather fussy)

I have two RZ's and use them almost daily for a whole range of things. They certainly aren't the tool for everything but for the things outlined here they're the best I've ever used...

Charlie Knauer
06-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Paul, I suspect the bit dulled halfway through. My buddy did not have another handy. I have cut old work boxes in wood walls and baseboards for years using my jig saw. Tile walls I make a series of holes with a carbide bit. Never had an experience like the rotozip.

Charlie