PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations on woodworking

Michael Yadfar
04-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Someone brought this up (reading books) and I really think I would be interested. I have a small shop and a general knowledge on woodworking, and I just began major projects like coffee tables and stuff. I feel like I can get by with making stuff by just googling what I need, going with my current knowledge, and watching youtube videos. However, I feel like for the long term, I would benefit from readings and make higher quality products.

So basically what I'm looking for is:
1: Best books/must reads
2: Other books that are good if I get time

So far I have been recommended "Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking" which looks really good and "Understanding Wood" by Bruce Hoadley which also looks really good.

If someone already says a book you recommend, don't be afraid to say it again. If a bunch of people say the same thing, I will know that's the book to read!

Loren Woirhaye
04-10-2014, 11:49 AM
James Krenov influenced my thinking a lot, though I don't work in a style much like his.

Both Yeung Chan's and Gary Rogowski's books on joinery are excellent. Chan's is especially pragmatic.

Kevin Jenness
04-10-2014, 9:19 PM
Ernest Joyce, "Encyclopedia of Furnituremaking"

Robert Ingham, "Cutting Edge Cabinetmaking"

Scott Grove, "Advanced Veneering"

Alan Peters, "Cabinetmaking, The Professional Approach"

Hoadley's book is essential. Tage Frid's series offers a good practical foundation. Anything by Charles H. Hayward is well worth reading. If you have access to Fine Woodworking back issues there is a wealth of information there. Krenov and Nakashima are good for inspiration.

Bill Whig
04-10-2014, 9:30 PM
Bill Hylton, Woodworking with the Router.

tom coleman
04-11-2014, 3:17 AM
woodsmith and shop notes books on router and table saw for $10 a pop provide excellent basic info, superb illustrations and simple instructions w very worthwhile tips and suggestions. I went to library and found many books on shelf w practical suggestions for furniture dimensions, wood selection and assembly techniques

Patrick Grady
04-11-2014, 8:55 AM
'Cabinetmaking and Millwork' by John L. Feirer is a venerable resource that spans the arc of expertise from beginner to mastercraft in a textbook style. Having gone through many editions, the editing and artwork is clean and simple. You can purchase one of the older editions (my copy is 1988) for pennies on Amazon. The delineations into chapters makes it a valuable shop reference which I return to refresh memory on techniques and materials.

Prashun Patel
04-11-2014, 9:19 AM
Personally, I think you can learn techniques and joint-making better on the 'Net. There are videos and people like the ones here to help you with issues particular to yourself.

Where books shine for me is helping develop a sense of design.

If you are a turner, I enjoyed The Art of Turned Bowls - Richard Raffan.

I also got (and still get) a lot out of Scott Landis' The Workbench Book. It's a great, detailed survey of available bench options and styles. When making your own, it's an invaluable, singular resource.

Matthew Dunne
04-11-2014, 9:52 AM
I have found Peter Korn's book, Woodworking Basics, extremely helpful. It goes over all the basics--and some advanced topics--in an extremely thorough yet straightforward way, with lots of good photographs. Also, presents a great mix of machine and handtool techniques. After some overview, he walks you through a few projects like milling lumber, cutting dovetails and mortises and tenons, and then two furniture projects. It's like a semester-long course in woodworking.

Korn is also in the small group of woodworking teachers who are actually good writers.

steven taggart
04-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Marc Spagnola aka The wood whisperer has a pretty good blood out there called "Hybrid Woodworking"

Rich Riddle
04-19-2014, 7:04 AM
Wood Work: A step-by-step photographic guide to successful woodworking.

Jesse Busenitz
04-19-2014, 8:35 AM
Understanding Wood is a great book that teaches how to work with wood instead of against it....

Rich Harkrader
04-19-2014, 8:56 AM
I'll second Wood Work. I checked it out from the library three times before breaking down and buying a copy.

The first two volumes of Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking are excellent as well. Gives you different ways to perform each task.

Gary Rogowski's joinery book is also a favorite. Great explanation and pictures.

Jim Matthews
04-19-2014, 8:32 PM
I've found Jim Tolpin's "The New Traditional woodworker" invaluable.

I won't build all the projects he details, but the method is transferable.
I'm less interested in making tools than using them, regardless of the instructional value.

My free time is too limited to make things other than furniture.

+1 on the Rogowski.
Haven't read the Chan, but I'm a fan.