PDA

View Full Version : Is the Rockwell model 15-665 Drill Press any good?

Greg Palmer
04-09-2014, 11:22 PM
I found a Rockwell model 15-665 drill press on Craigslist. They're asking $350. The drill looks like its been well taken care of, but is this a good drill and is it worth $350?

Thanks.

lowell holmes
04-10-2014, 6:00 AM
I can't speak for that drill press, but Rockwell machines from that era were excellent machines.

I don't have much regard for the new stuff being sold under the Rockwell name currently. The old Rockwell was Delta.

Ed Wood
04-10-2014, 8:44 AM
The older Rockwell equipment was good but I would think the $350 is too high . Not really sure what drill press go for today last one I bought was 20 + years back. I would offer $100 not much more for a used machine

Charles Taylor
04-10-2014, 8:57 AM
Give it a thorough once-over to make sure it's in good working order and that no important parts are missing, but I agree that machines from that time period tended to be built like tanks. About a month ago I bought a different model Rockwell/Delta drill press (15-655) for a little less than the asking price for the one you're looking at. Mine needed a repair to one of the pulleys, and I expanded that job into an all-out takedown, bearing replacement, repaint and restore, but it is a solid machine that I'll be happy with for a long time.

You can probably find the manual for the 15-665 at www.vintagemachinery.org, and lots of advice and expertise at www.owwm.org. Several of the members here are also members there.

Greg Palmer
04-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. I've been looking at drill presses for a while and it is extremely hard to find anything that look decent for less than $300. The guy selling it just bought an old Powermatic and completely restored it so I'm thinking that this Rockwell is probably worth at least $300. Thanks again everyone.

Dave Cullen
04-10-2014, 2:01 PM
I have one very similar that I paid 250 for 20 years ago. TEFC motor, 6 inch drilling depth. Only complaint is that the table doesn't tilt and doesn't have a crank to move up/down. It's a solid machine made in a day when Rockwell was good stuff.

lowell holmes
04-10-2014, 4:20 PM
It's a solid machine made in a day when Rockwell was good stuff.

This is a sad commentary on things. Delta, Rockwell, and Porter Cable was the gold standard.

Neal Daughtry
04-10-2014, 11:27 PM
I just bought a Porter Cable floor mount drill press from Lowes, PCB660DP and it is one heck of a deal for the price $329. You might want to check it out first, it gets great reviews.

Rollie Meyers
04-11-2014, 12:20 AM
I just bought a Porter Cable floor mount drill press from Lowes, PCB660DP and it is one heck of a deal for the price $329. You might want to check it out first, it gets great reviews.

Why buy cheap peanut butter Asian cast iron, when one can buy a quality machine? I'll take a older Delta/Rockwell or Powermatic over the modern offerings.

Myk Rian
04-11-2014, 8:26 AM
I found a Rockwell model 15-665 drill press on Craigslist. They're asking $350. The drill looks like its been well taken care of, but is this a good drill and is it worth $350?

Thanks.
See if he replaced the quill/spindle bearings. That's the most troublesome part to find, but are available.
$350 might be a tad high, unless he did a quality restore on it.

John Downey
04-11-2014, 11:11 AM
Its an excellent drill press as long as the motor and spindle bearings are in good shape. I have a similar Rockwell, same head casting, but a bench model with a tilting table. Hardly any of those old ones had a crank for the table, I've only seen them as add on accessories for the older drill presses.

If its in good running condition I wouldn't really balk at the price, but that's me.

Mike Hollingsworth
04-11-2014, 3:21 PM
These were discontinued about 15 years ago.
I've seen them new in the box on eBay for 3 grand. Beats ANYTHING you can buy today.
Rebuild is easy.

Greg R Bradley
04-11-2014, 6:40 PM
The last of the US made Delta basic 15" drill presses were $3-4,000 three years ago. $3,000 for that Delta on eBay is not unreasonable.

There are still a few US made units around but they are about that price. I would take an Ellis as a better unit for slightly less. An example: http://www.ellissaw.com/Drill-Presses/43/drill-press-9400