PDA

View Full Version : Kansas Sawmill

Randy Gazda
04-09-2014, 7:59 PM
All planning to be in the Hartford, Kansas area later this month. Anyone know of any sawmills I should visit? I always enjoy meeting mill owners and knowing where my hardwood lumber came from. I may also continue south to Snyder, Oklahoma, so any mills in route would be of interest.

Kent A Bathurst
04-09-2014, 9:12 PM
No idea on the sawmills - however:

You will be in the Flint Hills area. Considered by many - especially the ole-timers - to be some of the best cattle-grazing land, due to the minerals from the limestone that get into the grass. "Run your cattle South of the Kaw" they always said - which is the original name for the Kansas River.

They ship in many hundreds of thousands of heads to graze there, from Texas, OK, etc. But first, in preparation, in April they burn the prairies. Burn off the old dead grass, so the new grass will spring right up with the first rains. Untold acreage.

Driving through the Flint Hills on the K Tpke at night during that burn-off is a show unlike any other you will ever see. Rolling hills everywhere, with the lines of flame going up and down, all across them, as far as you can see in the night.

There's a farm that has held my family name for 125 years or so, 19 miles due north of Emporia. One of my cousins and his sons farm it now - and have enlarged it many times over through the years with purchases of contiguous land.

Wish I was going there with you.

Have fun.

Jak Kelly
04-10-2014, 12:44 PM
I was hoping that the one in Jennings Oklahoma was still open, it was kind of a small mill, the guy who owned it was named Mickey Bohannon, a retired animal trainer for the Barnum & Bailey Circus, a real character and a very interesting guy. I had an opportunity to visit his place one day when I was a delivery driver for a local lumber company (that's been 15 years ago now!). He had made his house with the mill, everything on the house came within a 10 mile radius of the home. All the interior walls were done in a "box-car" type siding, really cool. One room was all cedar, next room pecan. I think he said the floor joists were like 4" X 14" rough saw lumber, the guy used a backhoe to set the trusses, said he drove up on the foundation and the floor did not budge an inch!
There is a saw-mill near Stillwater, I think it is called Cedar Line, owned by some people named Watkins. Which should be kind of on your way to Snyder.

Jim Andrew
04-10-2014, 1:33 PM
Forestry Forum is the place to arrange a trip like yours, there are many small sawmills around, some bigger ones, most are mobile mills doing custom work.

John R Hoppe
04-11-2014, 6:23 PM
Hawley Lumber in Elsmore, KS is a pretty cool place. Run by George Hawley, an older chap with thousands of BD FT of lumber laying around. He has a couple of band mills and is a very nice guy. I spent a couple of hours chatting with him last summer. If that is near your route look him up and give him a call

Kevin Shamburg
04-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Check out Kansas Hardwood, St. Marys, Kansas.

Craig White
04-11-2014, 11:14 PM
eldersliefarm.com

Good folks. Recently milled an oak tree that my papa planted in 1960. Safe travels,

Craig

Jesse Busenitz
04-12-2014, 8:41 AM
eldersliefarm.com

Good folks. Recently milled an oak tree that my papa planted in 1960. Safe travels,

Craig

Another vote for George Elder there at Elderslie farms..... I had him mill a bunch of Oak and Walnut for me here 3 years ago. Nicest guy you'll every meet....

Ronald Blue
04-12-2014, 1:02 PM
I don't know where any of these are in regard to your route but worth checking out. Just add the 3 w's to this and you will have the link. kansasforests.org/documents/products/Kansas%20Sawmills.pdf

Rich Riddle
04-19-2014, 6:58 AM
Another vote for George Elder there at Elderslie farms..... I had him mill a bunch of Oak and Walnut for me here 3 years ago. Nicest guy you'll every meet....
I originally lived in that area and also recommend George. If you are in the Flinthills and love steak, try the Grand Central in Cottonwood Falls. They also have a weaver on the same block who makes everything by hand.