PDA

View Full Version : bad bearings in chinese laser

Michael Arruda
04-09-2014, 3:23 PM
Hello all,

When I purchased my laser a couple years ago, a RedSail M-500 I got used, the bearings in the wheels that ride along the aluminum tracks were grinding and making waves in the laser cuts and rasters. I ordered new bearing units from RedSail, only to find out that the center brass concentric posts they mount to were not machined properly, and did not fit in the blocks. I swapped the new bearings and wheels onto the old posts, installed and was away and running.

I've had other issues with the laser, from the controller to the tube to the mirrors that I've worked through and am now back to getting it running. I've had, oh, about 10 laser hours on the unit since I replaced the bearings. The last job I did had very wavy lines. it was wrecked. I turned off the machine and ran the head carriage back and forth without the belt under tension and lo and behold, it was catching and grinding along the rail, not smooth traverse. If I loosen the wheels to the point it travels smoothly, there is play in the head on the rails.

This is getting really annoying- has anyone else dealt with this? I'm thinking about modifying the system to utilize proper linear rails instead of these plastic wheels on aluminum extrusion.

-Michael

Dave Sheldrake
04-12-2014, 7:37 AM
The plastic wheel units are known to have issues Mike, but they are cheap, if Redsail used PMI's on the machines the base unit cost would go up by quite a bit :(

cheers

Dave