PDA

View Full Version : Bevel Up Jointer: LN vs LV

Cory Waldrop
04-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Hey guys,

I did some searching but couldn't find a good comparison of the bevel up jointers from LV and LN (usually comparing BU and BD). Those who have had hands on both, which do you prefer and why? Any reason to buy one over another?

Thanks

Kent A Bathurst
04-09-2014, 1:10 PM
Getcher popcorn out and watch the show coming to you on this screen !!

:p :p

Curt Putnam
04-09-2014, 1:15 PM
Mostly you will get 3 replies: LV, LN and get a BD

If you have preference for either LV or LN you have your answer. I vastly prefer the shape of the LV tote and both need and enjoy the fact that blades are usable in 3 different planes. Being a relative noob, I also enjoy the easily attachable fence for the LV. Check the feel of the tote in your hand, after all you'll be pushing the thing a lot. That issue alone could decide it. If you also want to do shooting then you also need to get the LV bevel up jack - which has been assigned that role in the system. Both LN and LV produce superior tools. You will be happy with the performance of either one.

IMO & YMMV

Cory Waldrop
04-09-2014, 1:28 PM
Kent... That is funny, I guess asking LV vs LN is a little dangerous. In all seriousness, a buddy asked me this question and I didn't have a good answer so I thought I would ask the masses.

Curt... Thanks for your insight. I have the LV BU Jack and it is one of my favorite planes. I didn't think of tote preferences so that is very useful. I also read that the sides of the LV jointer are not square to the edges so it cannot be used on a shooting board or used to check flatness by referencing the corner of the plane against a board.

I was also wondering about the differences in adjustment types between the two. Are the LV set screws a good or bad thing? My buddy and I are heading to the LN hand tool event this Friday so hopefully he can get to hold the LN version. I might bring my LV BU Jack so he can see some of the features it has to compare.

If anyone else has anything that should be considered, please chime in. Hopefully this will give him enough info to consider before buying something.

Jim Koepke
04-09-2014, 1:38 PM
Both makers produce excellent tools.

In my opinion it comes down to which is more comfortable in the user's hands.

The added features of the LV may sway some users.

Some may be drawn to the appearances or one or the other makers planes.

An LN hand tool event can be a day well spent.

jtk

Cory Waldrop
04-09-2014, 1:40 PM
Jim... I agree, I am giddy as a school girl looking forward to the LN event. It will be my third year going and is always time well spent.

Tony Zaffuto
04-09-2014, 2:01 PM
Pretty much a question of if you like blondes or brunettes!

Jim Koepke
04-09-2014, 2:30 PM
Pretty much a question of if you like blondes or brunettes!

Hey, what about redheads?

jtk

steven c newman
04-09-2014, 3:25 PM
Had one of these for awhile, but it was a little big for what I work on286834Justa Stanley #8c Type 9.....BD Jointah

Tony Zaffuto
04-09-2014, 3:29 PM
Hey, what about redheads?

jtk

I was going to mention redheads, but didn't since they are my favorite! Let's just refer to them as the Marcou's or the Andersen's!

Frederick Skelly
04-09-2014, 6:10 PM
Cory,

Theyre right. Its personal preference. FWIW, I bought the Veritas Bevel Up Jointer. Its a nice tool. Comfortable. Effective.

I have not used the LN version. Im sure its and outsyanding product.
Fred

Tony Zaffuto
04-09-2014, 6:21 PM
My LN BU jointer is one of my most used planes. I've gotten so used to it, it seems I"m always reaching for it for edge work.

Tony Wilkins
04-09-2014, 6:54 PM
I have the LV BU jointer and really like it. I bought the guide but found I preferred to use it without it. I also have an LN BU Jack. Both are great tools. It really is a matter of preference based on tote, adjustment controls, etc. I have mostly LV planes because the totes feel better to me and I prefer the controls on both BU and BD. If your friend can't try the particular models out, other models give a nudge as to which to try - i.e. trying a BU smoother or jack.

Kent A Bathurst
04-09-2014, 6:58 PM
Kent... That is funny, I guess asking LV vs LN is a little dangerous.

Nope. Not dangerous at all. Just guaranteed to get replies.

You took all the fun out by pre-empting the BU v BD issue. That is where the fuse really gets lit.

Me - I gots plenty of planes. LV a few, mostly LN. LN BU, LN BD, LV specialty. Oh - and my prized Keen Kutter K-7C. There is no way either brand will let you down. To me, it is an aesthetic question more than functional.

Just something about an LN BD - - - - the classic design, executed to near perfection.

No disrespect to Marcou, Brese, Holtey, et. al. I simply don't live at that spot on the space-time continuum. Gimme the winning lotto #, and I will give away all my LN, and fill up my brand new Ferrari with Holtey, Marcou, and Brese planes.

paul cottingham
04-09-2014, 8:19 PM
I have a good buddy who has the LN BU jointer, I have the LV one. Frankly, the difference between them does not justify the large price difference (in my opinion.) In fact, I prefer the weight and feel of the Lee Valley tool.
Disclaimer: My love of LV tools is serious and well documented.

Chris Fournier
04-09-2014, 9:09 PM
Neither. LN #5.

Rich Riddle
04-09-2014, 9:54 PM
For being new to hand planes, the Veritas Bevel Up planes proved easier to use and learn. The totes also feel very comfortable.

Cody Kemble
04-09-2014, 10:50 PM
Took just over 8 hours for the first BD only post. I'm actually really surprised.

John Sanford
04-10-2014, 1:39 AM
Sheesh, I'm surprised nobody has chimed in yet about all the virtues of spending 3 full weekends haunting flea markets and yard sales in order to find a decrepit vintage metal plane, then spending another 2 days restoring it, all in order to save some money. (of course, the 2 tanks of gas, 3 Big Gulps, and 2 combo meals at Mickey Ds and two breakfasts at Denny's (early rusthunter gets the goods), and a new chipbreaker ate up most of the potential savings. If one enjoys rust hunting, then it can be time well spent.

Cory Waldrop
04-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Thanks all for the responses. I agree it is going to be a preference thing here. I think he prefers LN planes, but I have been telling him how awesome some of my LV specialty planes are and how much I love the LV BU Jack so I think he wants to make sure he makes a good decision. Its not like buying either will be a "bummer" hahahahah. First world problems right?

I would be surprised if he doesn't buy the LN. We will be at the show and we get a small discount for attending one of the local woodworking schools. That might be all there is to it.

Kent A Bathurst
04-10-2014, 1:42 PM
Took just over 8 hours for the first BD only post. I'm actually really surprised.

I ran out of popcorn waiting for it.

Daniel Rode
04-10-2014, 2:19 PM
I spent $60 on my vintage #6 plus $15 for shipping. No weekends were lost, no gas was used and no chip breakers were purchased. I planned to eat that day anyway, so it seemed disingenuous to add in the cost of my meals. I spent $15 for my vintage spokeshave. The effort to restore consisted of sharpening the iron and 5 minutes spent disassembling, inspecting and lubricating the parts. I do this periodically to most of my tools, so it might be a reach including that in the costs as well.

A vintage plane is massively less expensive than a new plane from LV or LN and yet it slices through wood just like the new ones.

If you want to spend $500 on a shiny new toy, then do so. It's your money. But don't pretend the cost is somehow justified by Big Gulp savings.

Sheesh, I'm surprised nobody has chimed in yet about all the virtues of spending 3 full weekends haunting flea markets and yard sales in order to find a decrepit vintage metal plane, then spending another 2 days restoring it, all in order to save some money. (of course, the 2 tanks of gas, 3 Big Gulps, and 2 combo meals at Mickey Ds and two breakfasts at Denny's (early rusthunter gets the goods), and a new chipbreaker ate up most of the potential savings. If one enjoys rust hunting, then it can be time well spent.

steven c newman
04-10-2014, 3:43 PM
My De#6c came in the mail. It was very rusty, and had broke during shipping, due to an old crack. Got a refund for the plane, used that to get a new base for the plane, cleaned up most of the original parts. It now has a Swedish Shark on the new iron, new wood tote. The original Guta percha was toast, and came off in about six chunks. A thorough clean, and fettle, and the iron was nice and sharp. Total cost? MAYBE $25, if that. The Broken down one was $15. Refund from that paid for the replacement parts. Maybe a few dollars here and there to finish it up. That Berg iron? Traded a Stanley iron for it, as the stanley was the wrong size for that plane.

It will shake a see through shaving any time I want one. It will level a panel as needed, And will joint just about any edge. Since the rebuild, I had to sharpen the iron....maybe..twice...

Seem to like the size, and weight....286937What came in the mail286938and after the rebuild. YMMV

Sean Hughto
04-10-2014, 5:28 PM
That's beautiful. Maybe an LN could do better, but I don't see how (per the thread above). And frankly it is just so satisfying to get shavings like that from a plane you cleaned up.