PDA

View Full Version : Four Fold Fettle

Jim Koepke
04-08-2014, 7:13 PM
In another post my joy of finding a great hardware store was given enthusiastic praise.

One of the items purchased was a 36" four fold ruler. It is nice, but that never stopped me from trying to improve something.

The markings in the brass were a little weak so a small square and a marking knife was used to improve them:

The bottom markings are original, the top markings have been re-scribed.

I have a chart for a 24" ruler for setting the legs to any whole angle up to a right angle. But why not just put a protractor on the hinge? Some models by some makers did:

This is a touch crude. The marks are at intervals of 15º with a small mark at 22-1/2º. A line was added after this picture for 75º.

Finally this ruler didn't open totally straight. A close look showed me where the hinge was having problems and it was addressed.

This is a nice complement to my other 36" four fold ruler. The old one reads right to left and the new one is left to right. It has already been a bit confusing in the shop since I am so used to the old one. Fortunately reading upside down and backwards isn't a problem for me.

jtk

Roger Rettenmeier
04-08-2014, 7:23 PM
Jim, As per your previous posted question about the photo difference... The top item was a RULER!!! Looks like a good score.

Jim Koepke
04-08-2014, 9:14 PM
Jim, As per your previous posted question about the photo difference... The top item was a RULER!!! Looks like a good score.

Yes, it was different, but it wasn't the odd ducks. :)

jtk

Winton Applegate
04-09-2014, 3:04 AM
Smart !
Good stuff.