PDA

View Full Version : For the Love of Hardware Stores

Jim Koepke
04-08-2014, 3:29 PM
Some folks just can't help themselves when it comes to a good hardware store.

I recall my favorites from living in the S.F. Bay Area: There was the ACE Hardware on McBryde, Pastime in El Cerrito and Cole/Fox Hardware in S.F. for almost any hardware need and way too many things I didn't know I needed.

Since moving to Washington I hadn't found the ultimate hardware store in our area. The ACE is pretty good, but still limited.

Yesterday Candy and I went to Portland, OR for a few things we needed there. While in the Woodcrafters store (not Woodcraft) I asked about drill bits for drilling a saw plate. The person there told me about a hardware store at Second and Stark in Portland called Winks Hardware.

From the outside it didn't look like much. They do have their own parking lot. Inside it is not too showy either. The real deal is the Customer Service Counter. They had the cobalt drill bit I wanted and I saw something else under the counter that is seldom seen in hardware stores of today. A four fold 36" ruler. I really like my four fold yard stick, but it was made between 1920 and 1936. It has seen better days, some might say it is just getting broken in.

Then I made a comment about drill bits and the person helping me said, "yes we do carry a few sizes of those."

See if you can figure what is odd in this picture:

I think I have fallen in love with another hardware store.

jtk

Roger Rettenmeier
04-08-2014, 3:34 PM
The twist in the middle bit is reversed.

Cody Cantrell
04-08-2014, 3:42 PM
The bottom three are lefties

Roger Rettenmeier
04-08-2014, 3:45 PM
I need to check my eyes...

george wilson
04-08-2014, 3:50 PM
Don't forget to reverse your drill!!:)

glenn bradley
04-08-2014, 5:42 PM

Aw come-on . . . that makes 'em last longer ;-)

Evan Patton
04-08-2014, 5:58 PM
Some folks just can't help themselves when it comes to a good hardware store.

I recall my favorites from living in the S.F. Bay Area: There was the ACE Hardware on McBryde, Pastime in El Cerrito and Cole/Fox Hardware in S.F. for almost any hardware need and way too many things I didn't know I needed.

Since moving to Washington I hadn't found the ultimate hardware store in our area. The ACE is pretty good, but still limited.

Yesterday Candy and I went to Portland, OR for a few things we needed there. While in the Woodcrafters store (not Woodcraft) I asked about drill bits for drilling a saw plate. The person there told me about a hardware store at Second and Stark in Portland called Winks Hardware.

From the outside it didn't look like much. They do have their own parking lot. Inside it is not too showy either. The real deal is the Customer Service Counter. They had the cobalt drill bit I wanted and I saw something else under the counter that is seldom seen in hardware stores of today. A four fold 36" ruler. I really like my four fold yard stick, but it was made between 1920 and 1936. It has seen better days, some might say it is just getting broken in.

Then I made a comment about drill bits and the person helping me said, "yes we do carry a few sizes of those."

See if you can figure what is odd in this picture:

I think I have fallen in love with another hardware store.

jtk
Winks is awesome. When I first started reading your post I saw your location as Longview and I was going to recommend Winks. I've never been to their new store, but their old one (torn down to make room for Pearl condos) was amazing. They had a basement full of springs and assorted hardware, each size and style was in an individual bin. I made the mistake of getting a little to close to touching one of the bins once and got a pleasantly gruff chewing out. They take their hardware seriously!

Jim Koepke
04-08-2014, 6:48 PM

I am thinking of installing a reversing switch on my drill press.

Then I will only have to remember to turn it off before reversing.

jtk

Judson Green
04-08-2014, 6:59 PM
Reminds me of this!

Going the Wrong Way - Planes, Trains & Automobile…: http://youtu.be/_akwHYMdbsM

Shannon Brantley
04-08-2014, 7:31 PM
The true hardware store in my town just closed. The owner's wife found out she has cancer and he decided to retire. Rare to find a good one these days.

Brad Patch
04-08-2014, 7:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbMHmQ04yr8

This is what happened to the best hardware is metro Atlanta. A few days after Christmas, 2012 it was destroyed by fire, can't wait until they are back bigger and better than ever. Their inventory was sensational!

Brad

Bill Satko
04-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Hardwicks (http://www.ehardwicks.com/) in Seattle. Since 1932. It does not look like much from the outside.

Winton Applegate
04-09-2014, 3:19 AM
McGuckin Hardware in Boulder, Colorado
It ain't small or like the mom and pops but is a fun place to buy stuff you didn't know you needed.

And they were the only place on the planet I could find that stocked the 3000 rpm model of the Porter Cable corded hand drill I needed. Turning lots of very small bits fast in mild steel.

That was 1997, when Porter Cable and high quality hand drills in general were . . .
. . . well . . . high quality. Pitty the foo that buys power tools today.

come on . . . tell 'em what the reversed drill bits are used for. I am sure at least a few are scratching their heads.

Noah Wagener
04-09-2014, 4:09 AM
Reminds me of this!

Going the Wrong Way - Planes, Trains & Automobile…: http://youtu.be/_akwHYMdbsM

That reminds of a newer Ole and Lena joke. Ole was driving home from work and Lena calls him up and says, she says "Ole, be careful on yur way home, some nut is driving the wrong way on the interstate."

Ole says "One!?. There's hundereds of'em!"

Zach Dillinger
04-09-2014, 8:15 AM
My favorite hardware store is Vets Ace Hardware in Lansing, MI. They have never failed me.

"Do you have round leather belting for a sewing machine?"
"Which size do you want, we have 1/4" and 3/8"

"How about copper rivets?"
"Aisle 6"

"Fine thread 3/8" castle nuts?"
"Also aisle 6"

They even have a bunch of old tools on the wall... not for sale unfortunately, they belonged to the owner's great grandfather and are display only.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-09-2014, 9:12 AM
My local great hardware store is Bernies. I even found a couple cutters for a Stanley dowling machine there a few years back, paid the sticker price for them. Yes, I bought all they had.

If anyone is wondering, the left hand bits are for drilling out broken right hand bolts and screws.

ray hampton
04-09-2014, 2:22 PM
My local great hardware store is Bernies. I even found a couple cutters for a Stanley dowling machine there a few years back, paid the sticker price for them. Yes, I bought all they had.

If anyone is wondering, the left hand bits are for drilling out broken right hand bolts and screws.

left-hand drill bits are use in a drill dress or a lathe that are running in reverse, at soon as the holes are drill , TAP the holes for a left-hand bolt

Dave Anderson NH
04-09-2014, 4:37 PM
Both the town I was born in Stoneham, MA and the town I grew up in Penfield NY had great family owned hardware stores. The one in Stoneham, Bell Hardware was my favorite because my grandfather worked there and my dad did also during high school and while he was going to college and law school. It was true old timey with about 15 foot ceilings and rolling ladders along each side wall to reach the uncountable individual oak drawers stacked 10 feet high. I remember the scale for weighing loose nails coming out of the wooden kegs. In the back of the store and up 2 steps was Charlie McCarthy's private domain, the sharpening shop where everything from kitchen knives, scissors, ice skates, and hand saws were sharpened 6 days a week with a 2 day turn around. One day if Charlie liked you. It's long gone now like most non-chain hardwares.

george wilson
04-09-2014, 5:27 PM
My father in law had a hardware store in Cleveland. Lowes opened up a store and ran him out of business.