PDA

View Full Version : Delta Top Turn Lathe

Bruce Kohl
04-08-2014, 12:01 PM
I have a chance to purchase a Delta Model 46-860 Top Turn lathe (made in the early 90's). It's very heavy-duty, has a 16" swing and about a 40" bed. However, it is only a four speed (change the belt) lathe, and I understand from what little has been reviewed on this model that it possibly has an odd thread spindle - something like 1 X 10.

So, what if anything does the group know about this model? The lathe is offered for about $1,250. I'm thinking that if I got it I would change to a three phase motor and VFD controller to get variable speed and reversibility, which would cost about $400 extra.

Finally, I currently have an old Boice Crane 12" gap bed VS (Reeves drive) lathe that is in good shape and has worked fine for most of what I turn - spindles and small bowls. I also have a full assortment of accessories for the BC, including a cross-slide, extra banjo, tool rests and steady rest, none of which would work on the Delta. I want to get into larger bowls and hollow forms, but is the Delta enough of an upgrade to justify the purchase?

Finally, what do you think would be a fair price for this lathe?

Thanks for any assistance.

Bruce

Larry Komroff
04-08-2014, 12:49 PM
I would think you could do much better. $1250 for a used lathe that parts are probably not available for, plus $400 for VFD and motor. $1650 for a used lathe from the 90's plus work to modify with VFD? Possible non-standard spindle thread? Grizzly offers a variable speed 18" x 47" lathe for $1,845 delivered. Just my thoughts.

Michelle Rich
04-08-2014, 1:56 PM
I agree with Larry.-I would not sink 1650 into a used lathe with an odd sized spindle..nova makes a good product and was on sale somewhere recently& A used Jet 1642 would fill your requirements.

Doug Herzberg
04-08-2014, 2:14 PM
Agree. You can do better.

Bruce Kohl
04-08-2014, 4:30 PM
Let me clarify a bit. I believe the motor on the Delta Top Turn is 1.5 hp, and the low speed is around 300 rpm. Also, I don't intend to pay $1,250 for this lathe. I was thinking of offering somewhere around $600 to 700, so that with the motor and controller upgrade I'd have around $1,000 in the lathe.

For anyone who knows this lathe does that seem reasonable?

The big advantage of this lathe over my present Boice Crane is the increased swing, and the fact that it is one heavy son of a gun - both good for expanding my bowl and hollow turning projects.

Thanks to all for responding.

Doug Herzberg
04-08-2014, 5:29 PM
I don't know this lathe, but it looks like another gap bed lathe, meaning the 16" swing is only in the gap. From what I've read, by the time you get a chuck (and thread adapter, if needed), there isn't much room left for a deep bowl. According to a parts diagram I found online http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-46860-type-wood-lathe-parts-c-3275_9659_14226.html, there was an outboard bowl attachment on page D, but that almost certainly means left hand threads for your chuck or faceplate. There is probably room for faceplate turning, and many people do that, but a scroll chuck gives you many more options.

A friend with a different vintage Delta lathe has spent hours locating and installing replacement bearings. If you're into old iron and you want a project, maybe this is for you, but I think it's overpriced, even at $6-700. I looked at several old metal and wood lathes when I was considering a project lathe to save money, but in this case, I don't think you'll be saving much, if anything.

I don't know where you live, Bruce, but unless there is a scarcity of old iron for some reason, I'd keep looking. I know it's hard, but for me it was worth it.

Dennis Nagle
04-08-2014, 5:42 PM
You can get a new Nova 1624 at Woodcraft for 899.00. The head turns so you can turn outboard as well.

Harry Robinette
04-08-2014, 8:34 PM
A friend of mine has one and I wouldn't put it in my shop. It vibrates,It's hard to get level and I just doesn't feel right when I've turned on it.
Just my opinion.