PDA

View Full Version : Maple live edge table

Tony Parent
04-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Hello, I'm fairly new around here, but have been lurking for a while, and replied to a couple other threads.

Here's a table I recently completed that I thought I would share. Most of the wood comes off some land I own. The legs I hewed with axes, and the feet come from some old maples that we tapped as kids. The outer boards were milled from a downed tree using a chainsaw mill and air dried for 3 years... Almost all the rest was done with hand tools. (I did cheat and took the top to a local shop for final flattening with a large sander.)

The only "store bought" wood is the maple inner boards and breadboard ends, and the walnut butterflies. (Which are full thickness, not just inlays...)

Now the wife wants chairs to go with it... The ones we have just don't quite go with it... :)

Pat Barry
04-10-2014, 7:58 PM
Hi Tony, I missed this earlier somehow. Very nice project though. The base is super interesting idea. It looks nice. Congratulations. Good luck with the chairs.

Ted Calver
04-10-2014, 9:41 PM
Tony,
I think it's a cool table and the connection to your land makes it even better. Lots of character and a very interesting support structure. I hope it's as solid as it looks. Great job!

Justin Ludwig
04-10-2014, 11:49 PM
Cool table. Looks HEAVY

Yonak Hawkins
04-11-2014, 1:04 AM
Now the wife wants chairs to go with it...

See, now there's the problem with knocking yourself out making a great looking piece of furniture .. It just doesn't end there. :) Be sure to post the pics of the chairs.

Tony Parent
04-14-2014, 8:01 AM
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

I hope it's as solid as it looks

Looks HEAVY

It is very stable, and heavy! :-) It comes apart so it's not that hard to move around. (But you do have to break it down to move it more then a few feet one way or the other...)

The top splits down the middle length wise, and the base breaks up into the leg/foot assemblies and a stretcher. (Plus several pegs)

Be sure to post the pics of the chairs.
Will do, but it will be a while. I have several other projects ahead of them in the queue. Including a couple Morris chairs and a tool chest/cabinet of some kind. The queue seems to be getting longer as stuff gets placed in it faster then I can get things built!

Prashun Patel
04-14-2014, 8:03 AM
It's Bold and Beautiful. Nice.

Bert Kemp
04-17-2014, 1:23 AM
Oh Yea thats just the cats meow. I'd love a table like that. Would really go nice in a log cabin on a mountain lake some place.
Great work.