PDA

View Full Version : Sketchup Question - Roof Framing

Dennis Peacock
04-08-2014, 7:37 AM
Does anyone here have a good example of roof rafter layout where an addition to a house intersects with an existing house?
My existing house is a ranch style house and I'm needing to add on for moving my mother-in-law in with us. She wants her own apartment, so we will be T'ing off the back of our house for her 760 sq ft addition. I'm trying to work up a materials list, but I'm trying to draw it all up first to work out the kinks.
Like this if you'd be so kind to entertain my ascii character drawing. :)

|
|
|__
|

This design crates 2 valleys and I already have the common rafters drawn to simulate the existing house with 2x4 trusses and the "going to be added" garage, which will be stick built with 2x6 lumber. My trick is getting the 2 roofs to line up properly and then T-off for the apartment addition.

Dave Richards
04-08-2014, 8:28 AM
Dennis, are you asking how to draw that in SketchUp or how the framing should be done so you can draw it?

Mark Bolton
04-08-2014, 8:37 AM
Dennis,
There isn't a plugin that I know of that will calculate valleys/hips based on a sloped face (your existing roof) in sketch up. There are framing plugins which will generate all your rafters/stud walls based on your inputs. Once generated, each member is a group so you could go back and put in your valley plate and then edit each valley rafter one at a time.

Mark Bolton
04-08-2014, 9:37 AM
Dennis,
I replied from my phone earlier but now at the shop I wanted to get you this link in case you hadnt seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8ZrPhAlbqk

Thats a short video tutorial for an older plugin called Housebuilder. It will generate roof and wall members quickly which may save you some time if you opt to draw the valleys out in detail.

If your trying to simply get a material tally what I will often do is simply sketch the ridge and valley plate, then snap guides at the framing centers and simply measure point to point. All you need is your long point to long point dimensions for the tally. That said, I do often draw out all the geometry if its complex or tricky. I find it really helps to head off pitfalls in the field.

When I draw out the valley rafters in detail I just draw one rafter with the compound cut at the valley and a square end on the plumb cut end (ridge). Then I copy that group or component to each valley rafter location snapping it to the intersection of the guide and the valley plate. I then open each rafter and push/pull it to the ridge intersection, draw a plumb line, and push/pull the tip off. Its pretty quick in xray.

Dennis Peacock
04-08-2014, 1:35 PM
Here's what I had done a couple of nights ago. I've since added some/most of the apartment add-on framing.

Mark Bolton
04-08-2014, 1:58 PM
If you did all of that long-hand, that plug-in I mentioned would save you a lot of time. Even if only to generate your course geometry. You would still have to go in and detail the entire drawing but it helps to get the repetition out of the process.

Dennis Peacock
04-08-2014, 2:45 PM
Every stick....drawn one at a time....placed one at a time. I'm new to SU and just learning SU and it's basics. Yes, I'm struggling with all this to help move my wife's mother here so we can take care of her. That's why this project is even in existence today. She moves here permanently on 23 May....so I'm under pressure to get this drawing done and a materials list done so I can start actual construction in the next few weeks. I've already met with our Utility Company's electrical engineer...I borrowed a rotary laser level to shoot the grade and mark it all off. I'm ready for batter boards and after that, I'll be ready to have the footings dug and poured. Dave Richards has offered to chat with me about this via phone to see how he can help me shorten my learning curve. Thank You Dave.!!! :D

Dennis Peacock
04-08-2014, 3:50 PM
I have downloaded a "plugin" but in SU 2014, I can't seem to find out how to get to the plugins. Appears as if I'm trying to swallow a whale in a single bite when I truly need to swallow that whale a small piece at a time. Funny how time crunches pressure us to try things we aren't exactly good with yet.

Oh....and just so you know.....the existing how has 2x4 trusses and the 24' garage framing will be 2x4 stud wall but 2x6 ceiling and roof framing. The MIL's added apartment will be all 2x6 framing except for the very interior walls and those will be 2x4 stud interior walls.

Dennis Peacock
04-08-2014, 3:53 PM
Here's exactly where I am on this drawing.

Mark Bolton
04-08-2014, 4:48 PM
Dennis,
You will need to unzip the contents into the sketchup plug ins folder there may also be a tools file thst needs to go into the tools folder. Not to dump it on dave but if he is calling you he can likely walk you through the plug in install. If not id be glaf to help. if there is anything I can do with regards to the drawing that wouldnt confuse the issue with too many hands in the pot feel free to let me know. I could draw the valley for you id just need a copy of what youve got so far.

Dave Richards
04-08-2014, 5:02 PM
We'll get Dennis sorted out with everything.

You don't unzip into the Plugins folder anymore. There's a much easier and more reliable way to do it and we'll get that handled, too.

Mark Bolton
04-08-2014, 6:22 PM
We'll get Dennis sorted out with everything.

You don't unzip into the Plugins folder anymore. There's a much easier and more reliable way to do it and we'll get that handled, too.

I dont have that plug in but rather an older plugin that wasnt to friendly with regards to the improved plugin install. That said, its still a phenomenal labor saver for stud walls, floor decks, and gable roof frames.

Dennis Peacock
04-08-2014, 6:29 PM
for more info on the drawing.....
The wall inside the new garage is the EXISTING wall on the EXISTING house. All framing up to that point is 2x4 construction and trusses. Part of my issue is figuring out how to LOWER the new sections by 2" to allow the 2x6 roof framing to match up nicely with the existing house roof. Once that is resolved, THEN the roof framing from the MIL's apartment to the existing & new roof section.

There.....simple as that. :D ;)

Mark Bolton
04-08-2014, 7:26 PM
for more info on the drawing.....
The wall inside the new garage is the EXISTING wall on the EXISTING house. All framing up to that point is 2x4 construction and trusses. Part of my issue is figuring out how to LOWER the new sections by 2" to allow the 2x6 roof framing to match up nicely with the existing house roof. Once that is resolved, THEN the roof framing from the MIL's apartment to the existing & new roof section.

There.....simple as that. :D ;)

Im not following from the drawings, but may not be seeing something.