View Full Version : Elm Crotch

Doug Herzberg
04-07-2014, 7:46 PM
This is one of those weed trees that send off about 1000 seedlings every year (Chinese elm, Siberian elm?). I trimmed some large branches last fall and roughed this platter / shallow bowl. Just got it finished and thought the wood was pretty.

About 6-1/2" x 7/8" Just Watco DO so far.

Roger Chandler
04-07-2014, 7:54 PM
I like the grain in that as well, Doug........that will be a looker when you get it finished!

George Conklin
04-07-2014, 7:59 PM
I agree, Doug. I think its pretty too. Let's hope that tree gives you plenty more branches to make more pretty bowls with:).

Doug Herzberg
04-07-2014, 8:18 PM
I agree, Doug. I think its pretty too. Let's hope that tree gives you plenty more branches to make more pretty bowls with:).

The whole thing will be coming down eventually. It's in the corner of a parking lot and ruining my asphalt. I'll probably give some of the wood away rather than try to turn the whole tree myself.

charlie knighton
04-07-2014, 8:24 PM
good stuff Doug, thanks for sharing

Dennis Nagle
04-07-2014, 9:04 PM
That looks great Doug.

Thomas Canfield
04-07-2014, 9:29 PM
The elm can have some pretty wood with the dark heart and light sap wood. The grain is pretty big, but enough sanding and multiple coats of oil worked to give a nice finish. I would consider wet sanding with oil to fill the pores except for the light/dark and the fine dust changes the color. I picked up a bed full and mostly green turned the bowls, but did finish a few. Enjoy the wood.

robert baccus
04-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Stunning--just stunning.

Michelle Rich
04-08-2014, 7:05 AM
the wood is wonderful. pretty platter

allen thunem
04-08-2014, 8:50 AM
The whole thing will be coming down eventually. It's in the corner of a parking lot and ruining my asphalt. I'll probably give some of the wood away rather than try to turn the whole tree myself.

let me know when its coming down. give me a reason to go down to the springs.

George Morris
04-08-2014, 9:30 AM
Beautiful wood! Nice form,well done!

Scott Snyder
04-08-2014, 9:36 AM
I agree with Allen Thunem. Let me know when it comes down, I go to the Springs all the time. I'm also in Littleton.
Scott

Doug Herzberg
04-08-2014, 12:20 PM
I agree with Allen Thunem. Let me know when it comes down, I go to the Springs all the time. I'm also in Littleton.
Scott

You're on. I'll plan a tree day.

allen thunem
04-08-2014, 12:22 PM
looking forward to it

Doug Herzberg
04-08-2014, 1:02 PM
looking forward to it

PM sent. Anyone else wants in, send me a PM.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-08-2014, 4:06 PM
Nice piece Doug, and good looking wood, if from your area, it isn't Chinese Elm as it needs very humid growing conditions, Siberian Elm is the tough one that grows just about anywhere and has most often quite dark wood.

I like to turn it, and have turned quite a bit of it, it can be stringy in the cambium area but other than that it turns quite nicely, the outcome is well worth it, even with the less pleasant smell that disappears when dry, and very little problems with drying it.

Doug Herzberg
04-08-2014, 4:23 PM
Nice piece Doug, and good looking wood, if from your area, it isn't Chinese Elm as it needs very humid growing conditions, Siberian Elm is the tough one that grows just about anywhere and has most often quite dark wood.

I like to turn it, and have turned quite a bit of it, it can be stringy in the cambium area but other than that it turns quite nicely, the outcome is well worth it, even with the less pleasant smell that disappears when dry, and very little problems with drying it.

Sounds like Siberian Elm then, Leo. Thanks for the info. I did look at some photos of Siberian Elm wood and leaves online and I think that's what it is. I don't remember a particularly bad odor, green or dry. I feel bad about disparaging the Chinese for their elm trees all these years. This tree has more than one trunk and the bark isn't identical on each trunk. I suppose it is possible I have more than one species growing together, although I didn't notice any different leaves. Should make for some interesting grain, if nothing else.

Rich Aldrich
04-08-2014, 8:30 PM
Very nice wood.