PDA

View Full Version : Help on a Delta 37-877 8" Jointer

Timothy Zotta
04-07-2014, 6:33 PM
Anybody have one of these machines or know anything about them? Value? Quality?
http://www.johngweber.com/jgw/spj/f1044g.jpg

Bill Whig
04-07-2014, 11:59 PM
"Value" is relative to what you have to pay (including delivery/shipping). Personally, I'd like to have it if its single-phase. It doesn't appear to have a lot of mileage on it, but you should consider the source. I don't think the new owners of Delta are making 8-in jointers at the current time.

Bill

Timothy Zotta
04-08-2014, 12:12 AM
I guess I should clarify my original post. I have tried to look up information for this model number but haven't had a whole lot of luck. I guess what I was getting at was are there any real issues or annoyances with this machine. Anything that one who has owned one for some time could share? I guess then that would be a good way to determine what one should expect to pay. Mind you the one in the picture is for reference only as that model number doesn't seem to be for a very common model although I get the feeling it's the same as the model 37-380? Can someone verify that?

CPeter James
04-08-2014, 9:09 AM
I have several Delta tools in my shop, but I would not be buying anything new (or may even anything old, either) from them at this point in time. I just visited the Delta web site and from the looks of their offerings, they have stooped lower than B&D in trying to get into the "hobbyist" market and pretty much abandoned the quality older products that made they a staple of the woodworking society. From talking to several people who needed parts and service, it appears to be non-existent. I have two Grizzly tools, a metal lathe and a milling machine and while typical of the Asian import products, at least parts are available and the techs try to be helpful. The situation with large power tools seems be to deteriorating and quality of the tools going down. I have been replacing many of my new and newer things with older made in USA ones. The difference in quality is really amazing!!

For anyone looking to buy new at a reasonable price, there are some tough decisions to be made as to which maker to take a chance on. Grizzly seems to be good value for the money, but it is a crap shoot as to whether you get a good one of a lemon and have to replace or repair you new machine to make it right. Jet and Powermatic seem a little better on the upfront quality issues, but are priced higher. The one brand not mention much is General. I have one of there machines and have seen a few others. They look pretty good and support is also pretty good. Rikon is moving up in the pack, but there line of tools is not complete. The lathes and band saws seem to be decent and people who have them like them. I don't like orphans, tools with no support or parts availability. That means that you have to take a real hard look at some of the other brands out there. Most of the "house brands" seem to have gone by the wayside. Fortunately, they were all made in the same factories as most of the Asian imports and so parts from Grizzly will fit.

CPeter