PDA

View Full Version : Unusual #78 clone. User made?

Andrew Bangs
04-07-2014, 11:59 AM
I've got a duplex rabbet plane (at least, I think that's how you might describe it) that seems a little different from the Stanley #78 clones that I've seen. It's got a wooden tote that's 'open' at the top rather than the more common closed (and metal) types that I've seen.

I can't see any sign of a maker's mark, but it's still covered in the dirt I found it with.

The threaded hole on the left side (for a fence, perhaps) seems to be in a short section of metal rod that's been welded in place and the round-headed screw at the front of the tote seems to be threaded into a hole that goes right through the sole... I'm beginning to wonder if the whole thing could be user-made? Or maybe someone who has been around these things longer than me will recognise it. It's about 9 inches long.

Also, first post! Hello. I hope I've posted this in the right place. Let's see if I can figure out how to add some pics...

Jim Koepke
04-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Andrew,

Welcome to the Creek.

My guess is you have a plane that was "dropped forged" by an owner who then did a great job of recovery after the original handle broke off.

This could also be an older offering from a now long gone maker.

It will be interesting to see what someone else might know.

jtk

Lonnie Gallaher
04-07-2014, 12:48 PM
It looks to me like it is a fabricated body. It looks like welds under the "frog" area. It would be fairly easy to fabricate a 78 body if you had all of the assorted parts to make it a plane and a machine shop to do the machine work.

Andrew Bangs
04-07-2014, 4:18 PM
Taking a closer look (I evicted some spider webs with a brush) and, yes, I can see that the frogs are welded on.

I think I'll add it to the pile of "tools to clean up" and then see if it works.

Jim Koepke
04-08-2014, 12:04 PM
A lot of pattern makers liked to make castings of their tools or even make their own.

This could be one of those.

When you give it a work out or if you discover any more about this plane, please post about it.

jtk